Re: Peterhead Lore

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 21, 2000
      Hi Linda & others,

      Linda Adam wrote:

      > Any idea as to the "jargon" these people spoke? Or was it perhaps just
      >
      > a mixture of dialects from different localities?
      >
      > As a child, I recall thinking my Birnie family, from Peterhead, spoke
      > a language that was not at all "Canadian". At times I couldn't
      > understand a word they were saying, especially when the entire "clan"
      > gathered together. Lots of "dinnas" and "kinnas". Great memories!

      "Dinna" sounds like Doric to me.

      You can visit DoricNet for more information:
      http://www.rmple.co.uk/eduweb/sites/grampit/doric.html

    • Sam Daniel
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2000
        The local dialect or Buchan brogue is known as dorrick and is has a lot
        of roots with Dutch, Old English and I suppose a smattering of
        Scandanavian.

        "Waal Jeemes, a ya watchin' the whaals bhiavin'?" is more likely to be
        Wul, Jeems, a ye watchin i whhaals blain? That is "Well Jamie, are you
        watching the whales blowing.

        "Lang may yer chimney rum" should be Lang may yer lum reek. This is
        much more of a Glasgow use and means Long may your chimney smoke.

        So now for your home exercise.

        Let me know what the following means:

        Mi bachles gie mi kweets jip.

        --
        Sam Daniel
      • Sam Daniel
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2000
          I have no knowledge of gypsies and travellers sounds too modern for my
          liking. What did exits were tinkers. These were similar to gypsies and
          travelled the horse fairs such as Aikey Brae and made utensils out of
          metal. The metal was beaten into shape, hence the term tinky from the
          tink-tink of the beating. They also begged around the area and sold
          clothes pegs. However, they are distinct from the Romany Gypsies.

          Sam

          --
          Sam Daniel
        • Wilson Family
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 24, 2000
            At 08:12 23/11/2000, you wrote:
            >So now for your home exercise.
            >
            >Let me know what the following means:
            >
            >Mi bachles gie mi kweets jip.

            OK I give up. (Thanks for the rest.)

            Elisabeth Wilson
            South Hobart, Tasmania
            researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON
          • Wilson Family
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4 8:33 PM
              Wade,

              A while ago you wrote:
              >You can visit DoricNet for more information:
              >http://www.rmple.co.uk/eduweb/sites/grampit/doric.html

              When I finally got the time to look at this, it said "Netscape is unable to
              locate the server www.rmple.co ..." Is this the right name?

              Elisabeth Wilson
              South Hobart, Tasmania
              researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON
            • Braveheart
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2001
                If you are interetsed in buchan dialect you might think
                about purchasing Mount Pleasant by Peter Buchan which
                contains translations of doric to english.

                Regards dave