Birnie

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000
      Dear List Members,

      I am searching for information on George Birnie from Peterhead who was
      the Harbour Master of Peterhead for many years.

      George had a son Alexander Birnie b.? d. 1944 who married Jane ?,
      b. ? d.1947. There were perhaps other children born to George.

      At a young age Alexander left for Western Australia to fish for
      pearls (oysters would be correct). In Australia he lived in or near
      Fremantle. I am not sure if Alexander married Jane in Scotland or in
      Australia.

      He succeeded in making his fortune harvesting pearls but returned to
      Scotland in the early 1900's where he purchased an estate named
      "Wellbank" located almost due west of Sandford Bay, not a great distance
      from Peterhead. Alexander was know to the Peterhead townsfolk as the
      "Pearl King". There is a town named Wellbank but it is not the same
      place, as the town is quite a bit further south and in Angus rather than
      Aberdeenshire.

      I have no idea if he and Jane ? had any children.

      In 1924 Alexander paid a large sum to have a footbridge erected in
      Peterhead to cross the River Ugie for access to the Golf Links. The
      bridge is still in use and is named "The George Birnie Memorial
      Bridge", in memory of Alexander's father.

      Since I have the years of death for both Alexander and Jane would there
      be a possibility to obtain their death certificates from 1944 & 1947?

      I wonder what happened to all of those pearls!!

      Any suggestions would be appreciated, with thanks.

      Linda Adam