Re: [Peterhead] Bloo Toon and WW1 and WW2

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2000
      Keith,
      I think I'll go with your response. It has more charm than the other
      definitions. :)
      Thank you!

      Keith Duncan wrote:

      > You will no doubt hear differing stories from different folk - some
      > say the prevailing cold winds - that's what made people "Blue" - Hence
      > Bloo Toon (or the literal meaning - Blue Town as you said). Others say
      > it was the colour the boats were painted and so on the stories echo.
      > However the story I have often stuck with is that in days gone by,
      > folk used to wear Blue Moggans or stockings - the folk were called
      > "Bloo Mogganers" and the town was called the "Bloo Toon".
      >
      > Hope that answers your query :-)
      >
      > --
      > Keith Duncan

    • Sam
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2000
        People from Peterhead are known as bloomogganers and the town colour has
        always been a dark blue. Bloomoggans were blue woollen socks worn by
        the feshermin (fishermen) who went see in cobbles (small wooden boats).
        From the fact that you could recognise a Peterhead lad by his socks,
        they were called bloo mogganers. So all you Bloo Toon (Blue Town)
        descendants can all claim to be Blue Stocking aristocrats!

        Bred and born in the bloo toon,

        Sam

        PS Once maternity hospital births became popular, most of the Peterhead
        residents were born in the Broch (Fraserburgh) and this was only solved
        once the Bloo Toon got its own Maternity hospital (in the 70s?)

        In message <8sm3bn+rscm@...>, Linda Adam <taadam@...>
        writes

        --
        Sam
      • Linda Adam
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2000
          Dear Sam,

          Thank you for your Bloo Toon definition. Would Peterhead descendants not
          be known as "Blue Town" gentry?? :) I recall my grandmother often
          referring to certain families as "the gentry".

          Linda