Re: [Peterhead] Re: Marriages in Peterhead 1807

  • Joanne Pye
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2000
      For T.Gray:

      Hi here it is:

      Extract from the Register of Proclamations of Banns and Marriages 1807

      Parish of Peterhead County of Aberdeen

      7th May John HILL/MILL, Merchant, and Margaret GRAY, both in Peterhead.

      On closer inspection it looks like HILL but I thought I should say that its
      not crystal clear.

      Hope this helps
      Joanne
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2000
        Is it possible that it is Hull? This would be a local pronunciation of
        Hill and would reflect the fact that most people were illiterate and
        although saying Hull, the scribe would spell it in the way he thought
        most appropriate, ie Hill or Hull. It often explains why name spellings
        change.

        Sam

        In message <012d01c037dc$4843a760$2c8bbcd4@pye1>, Joanne Pye
        <joanne@...> writes