Re: [Peterhead] 1851 Census

    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi Alex,

      Alex Ritchie wrote:

      > Wade, can I impose upon you for information from the 1851 Census ?
      >
      > I'm looking for a John Mitchell (I would guess his age to be around
      > 50)
      > His wife was a Margaret Mitchell (nee Margaret Forbes Symmers)
      >
      > Don't know if you have access to 1841 Census but, if you do, can you
      > look there as well ?

      Sorry didn't find any that was close in Peterhead. Only found a
      Margaret Mitchell, age 46, born Longside, but unmarried.

      I don't have access to the 1841 census at home yet. I will not be going
      into the city for awhile, but I will keep an eye out next time I have
      look at the 1841 census.

    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 26, 2000
        Wade, I have a copy of an OPR marriage in Peterhead. William Divral,
        seaman m. Amelia Jamieson in Peterhead-16 September 1842.
        I have not been able to 'fit' in this marriage anywhere. However it now
        seems likely that it is a 2nd marriage for William Divral b.abt 27 June
        1807 -parents William Diverall and Isabella Mitchell.
        He 1st m. Mary Catto in 1830.I haven't found them in the 1841 census.
        Is William Divral/Deveril/Diverall etc.! in the 1851 census and/or an
        Amelia Divral. In the 1861 census there is an Emday Diverall who is a
        housekeeper and is a widow. The William Diverall in question died 'about
        1850'?. Betty
      • elmarboy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 4 4:37 PM
          Wade,

          Is there an 1851 Census available for other counties and
          parishes, such as Peterculter, Newhills, Old Machar and Midmar?
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 9 10:51 PM
            elmarboy@... wrote:

            > Is there an 1851 Census available for other counties and
            > parishes, such as Peterculter, Newhills, Old Machar and Midmar?

            Yes, they can be viewed through any LDS Family History Centre. I don't
            know of anyone having indexed them as yet, if this is what you were
            asking. If you are a member of the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS they will
            do a search for a name in the census.

          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 28 12:01 PM
              For Wade Buchan :

              Hi Wade,
              When you get a chance, could you locate a family for me on the 1851 Census ?
              I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and the family.

              Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on that one also.

              Many Thanks & Best Regards

              Alex. Ritchie

              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 4, 2002
                Hi Alex,

                Alex Ritchie wrote:

                > For Wade Buchan :
                >
                > Hi Wade,
                > When you get a chance, could you locate a family for
                > me on the 1851 Census ?
                > I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He
                > may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would
                > be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and
                > the family.
                >
                > Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to
                > the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on
                > that one also.

                1851 Peterhead Census
                District 8, Page 6, No.36, Ronheads
                Catherine Martin, head, 35, Seamans wife, Peterhead
                William Martin, son, 12, Seamans son, Peterhead
                Jean Martin, daughter, 10, Peterhead
                Marion Martin, daughter, 4, Peterhead

                No.37
                Jean Martin, head, widow, 71, House Proprietor, Peterhead

                I have the 1841 census for Roanheads and found:
                District 5, Page 13, Roanheads
                Sarah Robertson, 55, Fish Vendor, Y
                Katherine Martin, 20, Y
                William Martin, 2, Y
                Jane Martin, 8 months, Y

                District 10 (at sea), Page 16
                George Martin, 25, Seaman, Y

                I have two voyage details for George if you are interested.

              • Alex Ritchie
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 10, 2002
                  For Wade Buchan

                  Wade,
                  Many thanks for the Census information.
                  I would really appreciate the details of George Martin's voyages which you offered.
                  The only one I have details of is, in fact, his last in 1867 when he was first mate on the Dundee whaler "Camperdown".
                  Just as they were pulling away he jumped from the quay, lost his footing and fell into the water. At first his injuries did not seem to be serious but by the time they reached Lerwick on their way to the whaling grounds he had died. His remains were interred in Lerwick although I've never been able to track down a Death Certificate (I guess these Shetlanders were a law unto themselves !!).

                  Thanks Again........................................Alex Ritchie

                • Cathi Morton
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 4, 2003
                    Hi Janice,
                    My GGGrandmother was Helen Wallace, born Sept 19, 1824. Her father was
                    William Wallace b. 1798 in Dublin Ireland and her mother was Helen Chisholm
                    b. 1798 in Peterhead. They were married 12/21/1823. Hope this is of some
                    help and is your Helen Wallace. I have further info if you need it.

                    Cathi

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 4, 2003
                      Hi Janice,

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 10, 2003
                        Hi Marilyn,

                        1851 Peterhead Census
                        District 4, Page 12, No.57, 31 Merchant Street
                        Alexander Robertson, head, mar, 37, Solicitor, Insurance Broker & Ship-owner, Peterhead
                        Isabella Robertson, wife, mar, 28, Pitsligo
                        Margaret J Robertson, daughter, 7, Scholar, Peterhead
                        Robert Robertson, son, 6, scholar, Peterhead
                        George Robertson, son, 4, Peterhead
                        Alexander Robertson, son, 3, Peterhead
                        Milne J Robertson, son, 1, Peterhead
                        James T Robertson, 5 months, Peterhead
                        Margaret Whitecross, servant, 29, Nurse, Peterhead
                        Margaret Paterson, servant, 23, Nurse, Tyrie
                        Ann Robertson, servant, 19, Kitcheb Maid, Peterhead
                        Ann Pressly, servant, 22, House Maid, Fraserburgh

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 11, 2003
                          Hi Wade.
                          I am trying to locate information on Alexander Davidson.
                          From the National Archives of Canada, Federal Census of 1871(Ontario Index)
                          Here is what I have.
                          Davidson, Alexander age 49 born 1822
                          Peterhead, Scotland
                          Married , 1850- Jane? Born 1829
                          Occupation -Porter
                          District Oxford North(014)
                          Sub-district Woodstock Town(E)
                          Division 1
                          Page 18
                          Microfilm reel C-9912-3
                          Reference----Statistics Canada
                          They had 7 children Jane b 1853
                          Elsie b 1860
                          John b 1862
                          Harry b 1866
                          Helen b 1867
                          George b1870 d1944
                          Mary b 1872
                          George Davidson was my grandfather.
                          Alexander Davidson's father was also Alexander and must have been born
                          around 1790 in Peterhead Scotland.
                          Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                          Diana Beatty

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 14, 2003
                            Hi Diana,

                            I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.

                            It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden name and date of marriage for parents.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 16, 2003
                              My Alexander Davidson must have emigrated to Canada before that time. I have
                              also found a brother John born in 1824 in Scotland, but no mention of either
                              of their wives, however I think they must have come to Canada at the same
                              time,probably before 1850.
                              > I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.
                              >
                              > It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the
                              children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden
                              name and date of marriage for parents.

                              > Regards, Wade.

                            • diana beatty
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 18, 2003
                                Hi Wade
                                I think my Alexander Davidson and his brother John, may have left Peterhead
                                before 1851, as his 7children seem to have been born in Canada 1853-1870,
                                but his father, who was also Alexander wrote a thesis in medicine(in Latin)
                                at the University of Edinborough in 1819, so he must have been born around
                                1795 in Peterhead.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 29, 2003
                                  Hi Diana,

                                  There is only an Alexander Davidson aged 61 a Mason born in Lonmay, that is close enough to being born in 1795.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 13, 2004
                                    MessageHi Ian,

                                    Only one John Robertson that age in the 1851 Census, however his wife was Janet Brown and he died in 1860 Peterhead. Did not find a Helen or Robert fit either. There is a death in 1856, he was a Ship Carpenter and died at sea, the 1856 deaths only give that he was married. On James' marriage certificate does it state if both parents are still alive?

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 21, 2004
                                      Hi Wade,
                                      I finally found some more info on my Alexander Davidson. He was born
                                      Jan.15, 1821.in Aberdeenshire Scotland, and died Sept. 9, 1910 in Woodstock,
                                      Ontario Canada.
                                      Married to Jean Valentine( sometimes listed as Jane)
                                      born March 23,1830,Aberdeenshire Scotland.
                                      died Aug.28, 1895. Woodstock Ontario
                                      They emigrated to Canada and arrived in Woodstock Ontario in 1854.
                                      His father was Alexander, and must have been born around 1790. I believe
                                      they came from Peterhead.
                                      Can you help me, or does anyone else tie in with this?
                                      Sincerely, Diana Beatty.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                                        Hi Diana,

                                        I had a quick look at the IGI (Family Search) on the Internet. Alexander Davidson and Jean Valentine married 1 April 1854 in Ellon. Also there is a birth for a Jean in the Chapel of Garioch parish that matches the date you gave. Didn't find a matching Alexander. Someone has also submitted this family to the Ancestral File, if it is not already you.

                                        I suggest looking at the Ellon marriage on the OPR, either on film or Scotlandspeople web site, as it can sometimes give the parish they were from.

                                        This is the only Alexander Davidson born about 1790 in Peterhead.

                                        Peterhead 1851 Census
                                        District 19, Page 14, No.41, Sterlinghill
                                        Alexander Davidson, head, amr, 61, Mason, Lonmay
                                        Isabella Davidson, wife, 54, Peterhead
                                        Isabella Davidson, daughter, 17, Peterhead

                                        Regards, Wade.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                                          Wade,
                                          I am pretty new at this and am unfamiliar with the OPR.Can you tell me
                                          where to find that.
                                          Thanks for all your help. Diana.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 25, 2004
                                            Diana,

                                            The Old Parochial Registers (OPR) for Scotland are pre-1855 before Civil Registration began. These records have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints and can be hired through any of their Family History Centres. They are also available on the Scotlandspeople web site. If your a member of the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS they will also do look ups for members.

                                            The information varies in each parish and even within the same parish, depends on the Minister/Elder recording the information.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                                              Hi Martin,

                                              District 4, Page 5, No.18, 11 Maiden Street
                                              Margaret Anderson, head, wid, 67, Annuitant, Macduff, Ban
                                              Ann Anderson, dau, 43, Organist, Banff, Ban
                                              Jane Anderson, dau, 29, Formerly Milliner, Thurso, Caithness
                                              Ann Anderson, grand-dau, 13, Scholar, Peterhead

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 6, 2004
                                                Hi Wade. You were correct, the Alexander Davidson that married Jean
                                                Valentine was my great grandfather. Now I am looking for his
                                                father,Alexander, who would have been born around 1790, and lived in Lonmay.
                                                He could have been the one married to Isabella, but I believe he was
                                                involved in the Medical profession, as my brother has a thesis on kidney
                                                disease, written by him, in Latin, from the University of Edinborough. That
                                                is all I know.

                                                ----