Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 418

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hello All;
      As I mentioned before, I have a photograph of the headstone of the Leslies in Lair 282, this is right next to my great grandparents, the Rankins, you strangely enough, I can find no family connection with these Leslies. If anyone else would like a copy of the photograph, I would be happy to send it.
      Regards
      William Leslie

      Peterhead@egroups.com wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Firstly as I was going to check lair details I checked the registers for lair no. C 247, which was the one queried, and found the following:
      >
      > Lair No. C 247 - Upright Headstone - Robt. Carnegie, Shipbuilder
      >
      > July 12, 1809 - Wm. Jack, age 69, father of W. Jack, weaver
      > Aug. 31, 1829 - Isabella Hutton, age 84, mother of ditto
      > Dec. 5, 1851 - Wm. Jack, age 63, weaver
      > Ap. 14, 1864 - Isabel Jack, age 82, Kirk Street
      > Feb. 22, 1902 - Ann L. Carnegie, age 75, Prince Street
      > Aug. 19, 1911 - Robert Carnegie, age 84, Prince Street
      > Jan. 20, 1954 - Margaret Jane Carnegie, age 86, The Neuk, King Street
      > - Lair Closed -
      >
      > Also found were the next one in the Register:
      >
      > Lair No. C 248 - Upright Headstone - Robt. Carnegie, Shipbuilder
      >
      > Jan. 26, 1861 - Margt. Jack, age 81, Threadneedle Street
      > Jan. 28, 1862 - Eliza. A. Carnegie, age 3 1/2, Windmill Street
      > Feb. 20, 1867 - Charles Carnegie, age 3, Windmill Street
      > Oct. 8, 1868 - John L. Carnegie, infant, Windmill Street
      >
      > I had a couple of minutes to spare and rechecked the deaths that you had quoted and realised the burials of Ann & Alexander Leslie were not included in the above and rechecked the registers and found the following:
      >
      > Lair No. C 281 - No Headstone - Wm. Leslie, fishcurer
      >
      > Oct. 25, 1865 - Ann Leslie, age 80, Windmill Street
      > Ap. 10, 1888 - William Leslie, age 67, Jamaica Street
      >
      > Lair No. C 282 - Upright Headstone - Wm. Leslie, fishcurer
      >
      > May 14, 1857 - Alex. Leslie, age 87, Windmill Street
      >
      > The Lair's are in the rear of the kirkyard on the left-hand side, towards the middle, about seven rows from the rear. Lair nos. C 247 & 248 are directly behind C 282, which are the ones with headstones. The headstones read as follows:
      >
      > Lair C 247 - Erected by William Jack, weaver, in Peterhead to the memory of his father William Jack, who died the 12th of July, 1809 aged 69 years. Also Isabella Hutton, his mother who died the 31st of August, 1829 aged 84 years. Also the said Wm. Jack who died (rest of stone is underground, as the stone has broken of its base and broken piece has been stuck into ground at rear of the base).
      >
      > Lair C 248 - Erected by Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder, Peterhead, in memory of his children Elizabeth Ann who died 24th Jany. 1862 in her 4th year. Charles who died 16th Feby. 1867 aged 3 years and John who died 5th Octr. 1868 aged 1 month. Also of his wife Ann Leslie, who died 18th Feb. 1902 aged 75 years. Also the above Robert Carnegie, who died 16th August 1911 aged 84 years, and his son James who died 30th October 1936 aged 70 years. (Wording at bottom of stone - possibly quote from bible - unreadable).
      >
      > Lair C 282 - Erected by William Leslie, fishcurer in Peterhead, in memory of his father Alexander Leslie who died the 11th day of May, 1857, aged 87 years. Also of his mother Ann Jack, who died the 22nd of October 1865 aged 81 years. Also the above William Leslie who died 7th April 1888, aged 67 years.

    • I Tilbury
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        For William Leslie
        Chould i please have a photograph of the Leslies in Lair 282
        Who are your Leslie grandparents and great grandparents ?
        I have a Ann j Leslie who married Joseph Kean in Peterhead
        Her parents are Alexander Leslie [a cooper] and Mary Leslie [ ms Leask]
        Also i found in my notes Ann j Leslie and Alexander Leslie
        Had a daughter Baptised and named ANN JACK in 1840-42
        Did you know that there was a William Leslie had a son John [c] 24/12/1693
        At Old Machar Aberdeen
        Lynley Tilbury