Re: Carnegie/Leslie

  • Alison Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
      Hi Wade,

      You recently sent details of some marriages and deaths to the Peterhead group re various Carnegie's, Leslie's and Jack's, wherein you asked if anyone could read an MI when they visited Peterhead.

      I managed to drag my husband on a visit to Peterhead a few days ago to look up some family Lair details and took a copy of the details you posted with me.

      Firstly as I was going to check lair details I checked the registers for lair no. C 247, which was the one queried, and found the following:

      Lair No. C 247 - Upright Headstone - Robt. Carnegie, Shipbuilder

      July 12, 1809 - Wm. Jack, age 69, father of W. Jack, weaver
      Aug. 31, 1829 - Isabella Hutton, age 84, mother of ditto
      Dec. 5, 1851 - Wm. Jack, age 63, weaver
      Ap. 14, 1864 - Isabel Jack, age 82, Kirk Street
      Feb. 22, 1902 - Ann L. Carnegie, age 75, Prince Street
      Aug. 19, 1911 - Robert Carnegie, age 84, Prince Street
      Jan. 20, 1954 - Margaret Jane Carnegie, age 86, The Neuk, King Street
      - Lair Closed -

      Also found were the next one in the Register:

      Lair No. C 248 - Upright Headstone - Robt. Carnegie, Shipbuilder

      Jan. 26, 1861 - Margt. Jack, age 81, Threadneedle Street
      Jan. 28, 1862 - Eliza. A. Carnegie, age 3 1/2, Windmill Street
      Feb. 20, 1867 - Charles Carnegie, age 3, Windmill Street
      Oct. 8, 1868 - John L. Carnegie, infant, Windmill Street

      I had a couple of minutes to spare and rechecked the deaths that you had quoted and realised the burials of Ann & Alexander Leslie were not included in the above and rechecked the registers and found the following:

      Lair No. C 281 - No Headstone - Wm. Leslie, fishcurer

      Oct. 25, 1865 - Ann Leslie, age 80, Windmill Street
      Ap. 10, 1888 - William Leslie, age 67, Jamaica Street

      Lair No. C 282 - Upright Headstone - Wm. Leslie, fishcurer

      May 14, 1857 - Alex. Leslie, age 87, Windmill Street

      The Lair's are in the rear of the kirkyard on the left-hand side, towards the middle, about seven rows from the rear. Lair nos. C 247 & 248 are directly behind C 282, which are the ones with headstones. The headstones read as follows:

      Lair C 247 - Erected by William Jack, weaver, in Peterhead to the memory of his father William Jack, who died the 12th of July, 1809 aged 69 years. Also Isabella Hutton, his mother who died the 31st of August, 1829 aged 84 years. Also the said Wm. Jack who died (rest of stone is underground, as the stone has broken of its base and broken piece has been stuck into ground at rear of the base).

      Lair C 248 - Erected by Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder, Peterhead, in memory of his children Elizabeth Ann who died 24th Jany. 1862 in her 4th year. Charles who died 16th Feby. 1867 aged 3 years and John who died 5th Octr. 1868 aged 1 month. Also of his wife Ann Leslie, who died 18th Feb. 1902 aged 75 years. Also the above Robert Carnegie, who died 16th August 1911 aged 84 years, and his son James who died 30th October 1936 aged 70 years. (Wording at bottom of stone - possibly quote from bible - unreadable).

      Lair C 282 - Erected by William Leslie, fishcurer in Peterhead, in memory of his father Alexander Leslie who died the 11th day of May, 1857, aged 87 years. Also of his mother Ann Jack, who died the 22nd of October 1865 aged 81 years. Also the above William Leslie who died 7th April 1888, aged 67 years.

      Hope this helps.

      Alison

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
        Hi Alison,

        Thank very much for this. This was requested by someone else on the
        list.

        Regards, Wade.
      • I Tilbury
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
          Hi Alison
          Do you know if this line of LESLIE are related to the KEAN family
          Because i have this Joseph Kean who married Ann j. Leslie [ the J i think
          will be for the name JACK]
          regards Lynley

> [...]
          at rear of the base).

          > Lair C 248 - Erected by Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder, Peterhead, in memory
          of his children Elizabeth Ann who died 24th Jany. 1862 in her 4th year.
          Charles who died 16th Feby. 1867 aged 3 years and John who died 5th Octr.
          1868 aged 1 month. Also of his wife Ann Leslie, who died 18th Feb. 1902
          aged 75 years. Also the above Robert Carnegie, who died 16th August 1911
          aged 84 years, and his son James who died 30th October 1936 aged 70 years.
          (Wording at bottom of stone - possibly quote from bible - unreadable).

          > Lair C 282 - Erected by William Leslie, fishcurer in Peterhead, in memory
          of his father Alexander Leslie who died the 11th day of May, 1857, aged 87
          years. Also of his mother Ann Jack, who died the 22nd of October 1865 aged
          81 years. Also the above William Leslie who died 7th April 1888, aged 67

        • Alison Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
            Hi Lynley,

            I'm sorry I have no knowledge of this family apart from the information
            already supplied.