Marriages in Peterhead 1807

  • Joanne Pye
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2000
      Hi all

      Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but I've just received what I
      thought would be a certificate for my ancestors' wedding, but is in fact a
      page from the Register of Proclamation of banns and marriages 1807.

      I was hoping that it may have given an address, but obviously it was too
      early for that. I'm still learning! Anyway, there are a lot of other
      marriages on this page, so I thought I'd list the surnames.

      If anyone is at all interested in them, if they just let me know and I'll
      send you the details straight away. Its quite difficult to read but here's
      what I think they are:

      MURRAY & JOHNSTON
      KINLOCH & WATSON
      THOM & SMITH
      MITCHEL & LILLIE
      MA?O? & STUART
      HAY & PIRIE
      MILL or HILL & GRAY
      MAND??? & SMITH
      STUART & MOIR
      GALL & INNES
      SAUNDERS & ROBERTSON
      RICHIE & CARR
      ROBERTSON & BR**N

      I'm sorry if these names are not completely correct, but it is really
      difficult to read!

      Hope I can help someone with this and I that you are all well.
      Joanne
      Searching-MILNE,KINLOCH -Peterhead
    • I Tilbury
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2000
        To JOANNE PYE

        > Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but I've just received what I
        > thought would be a certificate for my ancestors' wedding, but is in fact a
        > page from the Register of Proclamation of banns and marriages 1807.
        >
        > I was hoping that it may have given an address, but obviously it was too
        > early for that. I'm still learning! Anyway, there are a lot of other
        > marriages on this page, so I thought I'd list the surnames.
        >
        > If anyone is at all interested in them, if they just let me know and I'll
        > send you the details straight away. Its quite difficult to read but
        here's
        > what I think they are:
        >
        > MURRAY & JOHNSTON
        > KINLOCH & WATSON
        > THOM & SMITH
        > MITCHEL & LILLIE
        > MA?O? & STUART
        > HAY & PIRIE
        > MILL or HILL & GRAY
        > MAND??? & SMITH
        > STUART & MOIR
        > GALL & INNES
        > SAUNDERS & ROBERTSON
        > RICHIE & CARR
        > ROBERTSON & BR**N
        >
        > I'm sorry if these names are not completely correct, but it is really
        > difficult to read!
        >
        > Hope I can help someone with this and I that you are all well.
        > Joanne
        > Searching-MILNE,KINLOCH -Peterhead
        >
        > Hi I'm interested in the surnames GALL and THOM because I have those two
        names on my side.
        I would be grateful in any information you might have.
        Thankyou for your help
        Regards Lynley Tilbury

      • Garry & Debbie
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2000
          Hello Joanne,

          I would be interested in any of the information you can make out on the list
          for the Hay & Pirie marriage.

          Debbie Cunningham

          Joanne Pye wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but I've just received what I
          > thought would be a certificate for my ancestors' wedding, but is in fact a
          > page from the Register of Proclamation of banns and marriages 1807.
          >
          > I was hoping that it may have given an address, but obviously it was too
          > early for that. I'm still learning! Anyway, there are a lot of other
          > marriages on this page, so I thought I'd list the surnames.
          >
          > If anyone is at all interested in them, if they just let me know and I'll
          > send you the details straight away. Its quite difficult to read but here's
          > what I think they are:
          >
          > MURRAY & JOHNSTON
          > KINLOCH & WATSON
          > THOM & SMITH
          > MITCHEL & LILLIE
          > MA?O? & STUART
          > HAY & PIRIE
          > MILL or HILL & GRAY
          > MAND??? & SMITH
          > STUART & MOIR
          > GALL & INNES
          > SAUNDERS & ROBERTSON
          > RICHIE & CARR
          > ROBERTSON & BR**N
          >
          > I'm sorry if these names are not completely correct, but it is really
          > difficult to read!
          >
          > Hope I can help someone with this and I that you are all well.
          > Joanne
          > Searching-MILNE,KINLOCH -Peterhead

        • T. Gray
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2000
            Could I get the info you have for GRAY?

            Thanks,
            T. Gray
          • Joanne Pye
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2000
              For T.Gray:

              Hi here it is:

              Extract from the Register of Proclamations of Banns and Marriages 1807

              Parish of Peterhead County of Aberdeen

              7th May John HILL/MILL, Merchant, and Margaret GRAY, both in Peterhead.

              On closer inspection it looks like HILL but I thought I should say that its
              not crystal clear.

              Hope this helps
              Joanne
            • Sam
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2000
                Is it possible that it is Hull? This would be a local pronunciation of
                Hill and would reflect the fact that most people were illiterate and
                although saying Hull, the scribe would spell it in the way he thought
                most appropriate, ie Hill or Hull. It often explains why name spellings
                change.

                Sam

                In message <012d01c037dc$4843a760$2c8bbcd4@pye1>, Joanne Pye
                <joanne@...> writes