Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 405

  • I Tilbury
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
      From: William Leslie <gripfast@...>
      To: <Peterhead@egroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 11:48 AM
      Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 405

      > Hello Wade and All;
      > I tried to see if there were any links between the Leslies shown in your
      very
      > complete report, and my Leslie family. No such luck. It is amazing that
      in a small
      > town, in the 1700's and 1800's, there could be more than one Leslie family
      with no
      > direct links. I am still searching for my gg grandfather John Leslie,
      from
      > longside, born about 1800. I was cheered when I saw the Robert Leslie you
      listed,
      > but he does not fit. I think that my ggg grandfather and ggg grandmother
      were
      > Robert Leslie (Crofter) and Mary Strachan from Longside. They had a son
      John, but I
      > can't find anything to link to my John, although he dates fit.
      > I have a photograph of the gravestone of Alexander Leslie and Ann Jack,
      taken in the
      > old cemetery in Peterhead. Their grave is right next to that of my
      grandfather
      > James Rankin and my grandmother Janet Walker. If anyone wants it, I can
      e-mail a
      > copy.
      > Regards
      > William Leslie
      > ATT. William Leslie
      > I have also got a LESLIE in my Kean Family tree ANN J. LESLIE married
      JOSEPH KEAN 13/10/1863
      > They had two children John Ironside Kean born 6th of August 1868 at
      Peterhead
      >And Helen Scott Kean born 30th May 1870
      < This Ann J Leslie parents are Alexander Leslie and Mary Leslie [ ms LEASK]
      < Witnesses at this marriage are William Leslie and John H. Leslie
      <While looking at the LDS. ON LINE in case you dont know iswww.
      familysearch.org
      > I found this Ann Jack Leslie [c] 27/12/1835 Peterhead
      > Ann Jack [m] Alexander Leslie 29/11/1818 Peterhead
      .> Mary Leask [m] Alexander Lesly 14/2/1828
      > William Leslie [c] 26th August 1772 Episcopal Peterhead[ father Robert
      > William Ironside Leslie [c] 9/12/1842 Premay ABERDEEN [ father James
      mother Helen Ironside
      > Yet another William Leslie with the same parents born 2nd August 1859
      >.> Hope this might lead to somewhere
      Lynley Tilbury
      i.l.tilbury@...

      > Peterhead@egroups.com wrote:
      >

      > > Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
      > >
      > > There are 4 messages in this issue.
      > >
      > > Topics in this digest:
      > >
      > > 1. Re: Carnegie/Leslie
      > > From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      > > 2. Re: Missing from census?
      > > From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      > > 3. Re: Missing from census?
      > > From: "Joanne Pye" <joanne@...>
      > > 4. Re: James Strachan & Amelia Gordon
      > > From: Sam Daniel <samdaniel@...>

      > > Message: 1
      > > Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:07:26 +1000
      > > From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      > > Subject: Re: Carnegie/Leslie
      > >
      > > Hi Kevin,
      > >
      > > cindy carnegie wrote:
      > >
      > > > Robert CARNEGIE(shipbuilder,peterhead) married 05 Nov 1855 Ann LESLIE
      born
      > > > 1826 Peterhead, parents Alex Leslie and Ann Jack, brother William.
      > > >
      > > > William Leslie CARNEGIE born 20 Aug 1861 married 1892 peterhead,
      Elizabeth
      > > > BIRNIE, born 20 Oct 1860. parents Capt. Charles Birnie, Elizabeth
      Martin.

      > > > On the Peterhead website there is a lair index (c247) with my
      > > > gggrandparents, and also a Margaret, i was wondering if i could obtain
      more
      > > > info from that source. Is there any records available that would have
      info
      > > > about shipcarpenters or shipbuilders from peterhead?
      > > > And finally, is there anyone from the area who does cemetery
      searches?

      > > Peterhead Marriages
      > > No.44, 8/11/1855 Peterhead, Robert Carnegie, age 28, ship-carpenter,
      bachelor,
      > > born Old Machar 1827, parents: Alexander Carnegie, farmer and Elizabeth
      > > Webster; married Ann Leslie, age 29, spinster, born Peterhead 1826,
      parents:
      > > Alexander Leslie, weaver and Ann Jack, witnesses Charles Carnegie and
      William
      > > Leslie.
      > >
      > > No.45, 22/12/1859 33 Marischal Street, Free Church, David Carnegie, 33,
      > > Peterhead, Shipmaster, bachelor, parents: Alexander Carnegie, farmer and
      > > Elizabeth Carnegie ms Webster (dead) married Barbara Lillie, 19,
      Peterhead,
      > > spinster, parents: William Lillie, cabinet maker and Jane Lillie ms
      Sellar,
      > > witnesses: Charles Carnegie and William Leslie.
      > >
      > > Peterhead Deaths
      > > No.57, Alexander Leslie, weaver (married), died 11/5/1857 2h am at 13
      Windmill
      > > Street, male, 87 years, parents: Robert Leslie, crofter (deceased) and
      Margaret
      > > Leslie nee Dick (deceased), cause: dropsy, had for upwards of a year,
      informant:
      > > William Leslie, son, present.
      > >
      > > No.14, Margaret Jack, single, 21/1/1861 9h am at 7 Threadneedle Street,
      female,
      > > 81 years, parents: William Jack, weaver (dead) and Isabella Jack ms
      Hutton
      > > (dead), cause: natural decay paralysis, informant: W. Robertson, nephew,
      > > present, occupier.
      > >
      > > No.6, Elizabeth Ann Carnegie, single, 24/1/1862 3h 20m pm at 13/2
      Windmill
      > > Street, female, 3 years, parents: Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder and Ann
      Carnegie
      > > ms Leslie, cause: Aruchnitis? (scarlatina sequela), a week, informant:
      Robt.
      > > Carnegie, father, present.
      > >
      > > No.69, Isabella Jack, single, 11/4/1864 8 h pm at 70/3/ Kirk Street,
      female, 82
      > > years, William Jack, weaver (dead) and Isabella Jack ms Hutton (dead),
      > > informant: Wm. Robertson, nephew, present, 7/3 Treadneedle Street.
      > >
      > > No.154, Ann Leslie married to Alexander Leslie weaver, 22/10/1865 11h am
      at 13
      > > Windmill Street, female, parents William Jack, weaver (dead) and
      Isabella Jack
      > > ms Hutton (dead), cause: a) varicose tumour (about 8 months) b) pyemia?
      > > fortnight, informant: William Leslie, son, present, occupier.
      > >
      > > No.42, Charles Carnegie, single, 16/2/1867 7h 20m pm at 13/1 Windmill
      Street,
      > > male 3 years, parents: Robert Carnegie and Ann Carnegie ms Leslie,
      cause:
      > > enteric fever, about three weeks, informant: Robt. Carnegie, father,
      present.

      > > No.142, John Leslie Carnegie, single, 5/10/1868, 2h 15m am at Windmill
      Street,
      > > male, 1 month, parents: Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder and Ann Carnegie ms
      Leslie,
> [...]
      > > 12/7/1809, Wm Jack, age 69
      > > 31/8/1829, Isa Hutton, 84
      > > 5/12/1851, Wm Jack, 63
      > > 14/4/1864, Isa Jack, 82
      > > 22/2/1902, Ann L. Carnegie, 75
      > > 19/8/1911 Robert Carnegie, 84
      > > 16/1/1954 Margaret Jean Carnegie, 86
      > >
      > > Perhaps someone on the list could look and let you know the inscription
      on the
      > > headstone when they visit Peterhead.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps.
      > >
      > > Regards, Wade.

      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:37:30 +1000
      > > From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      > > Subject: Re: Missing from census?
      > >
      > > Hi Joanne,
      > >
      > > Joanne Pye wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hoping you may be able to offer an answer to my question. Recently I
      > > > received a link via a list, for the website
      > > > http://www.ancestralfindings.com, which is offering free lookups of
      > > > the 1851 census of the UK. I have just received my lookup, but it is
      > > > not the person I'm looking for.
      > > > I was hoping to find Andrew KINLOCH m to Janet WATSON. I know that
      > > > they died during 1859 and 1856 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, as this was the
      > > > info that Wade kindly sent me. They were both quite old when they
      > > > died, aged 92 and 87 years. However, the return for Andrew was for a
      > > > 44 year old man. I was informed by the person who did the lookup that
      > > > this was the only Andrew KINLOCH listed. Whilst I realise that this
      > > > man could be a relative of my Andrew, it is clear that he is not the
      > > > man I'm looking for. I would be very interested to know if there could
      > > > be an explanation as to why my ancestor was not listed, or if it was
      > > > likely to just be a mistake.
      > >
      > > I didn't find Andrew or Janet in the 1851 census for Peterhead.
      > >
      > > As far as I know, the 1851 census for parishes in Aberdeenshire have not
      > > been indexed. Some parishes have been indexed by individuals, but I
      > > don't think any have been published yet either.
      > >
      > > Therefore I would be surprised if someone who was offering free searches
      > > of the 1851 census have actually checked all the parishes in
      > > Aberdeenshire for you. Your Kinloch could be living in the neighbouring
      > > parish at the time.
      > >
      > > Regards, Wade.

      > > Message: 3
      > > Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:00:59 -0700
      > > From: "Joanne Pye" <joanne@...>
      > > Subject: Re: Missing from census?
      > >
      > > Hi Wade,
      > >
      > > Thanks for your response! That would explain why they don't seem to be
      > > there, thanks again.
      > >
      > > I was wondering though, in the information you very kindly gave me
      regarding
      > > my KINLOCH's deaths, did they state any place of birth, or will that
      only
      > > appear on the certificates?
      > >
      > > I have ordered the marriage cert for Andrew KINLOCH and hope that will
      give
      > > me a clue as to where his was from. I think Janet WATSON was from
      Glasgow.

      > > Thanks once again Wade, it is much appreciated.
      > > Joanne

      > > Message: 4
      > > Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:38:08 +0100
      > > From: Sam Daniel <samdaniel@...>
      > > Subject: Re: James Strachan & Amelia Gordon
      > >
      > > Great news! I will accept the details with an abundance of thanks,
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Sam
      > >
      > > In message <000d01c0183c$d41193c0$08428cd4@pbncomputer>, Alison Anderson
      > > <A.M.Anderson@...> writes
      > > >

      > > >In February of this year Wade sent marriage details for a James
      Strachan &
      > > >Amelia (Emily) Gordon to the Peterhead list, along with the death
      details of
      > > >some of their family, for a Sam Daniel. If Sam Daniel is still a
      member of the
      > > >list and is interested (or anyone else) I have the lair details for
      Lair No. C
      > > >301, Peterhead Old Kirkyard, where children Helen Ann Strachan, John
      Gordon