Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 405

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2000
      Hello Wade and All;
      I tried to see if there were any links between the Leslies shown in your very
      complete report, and my Leslie family. No such luck. It is amazing that in a small
      town, in the 1700's and 1800's, there could be more than one Leslie family with no
      direct links. I am still searching for my gg grandfather John Leslie, from
      longside, born about 1800. I was cheered when I saw the Robert Leslie you listed,
      but he does not fit. I think that my ggg grandfather and ggg grandmother were
      Robert Leslie (Crofter) and Mary Strachan from Longside. They had a son John, but I
      can't find anything to link to my John, although he dates fit.
      I have a photograph of the gravestone of Alexander Leslie and Ann Jack, taken in the
      old cemetery in Peterhead. Their grave is right next to that of my grandfather
      James Rankin and my grandmother Janet Walker. If anyone wants it, I can e-mail a
      copy.
      Regards
      William Leslie

      Peterhead@egroups.com wrote:

> [...]
      > > not the person I'm looking for.
      > > I was hoping to find Andrew KINLOCH m to Janet WATSON. I know that
      > > they died during 1859 and 1856 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, as this was the
      > > info that Wade kindly sent me. They were both quite old when they
      > > died, aged 92 and 87 years. However, the return for Andrew was for a
      > > 44 year old man. I was informed by the person who did the lookup that
      > > this was the only Andrew KINLOCH listed. Whilst I realise that this
      > > man could be a relative of my Andrew, it is clear that he is not the
      > > man I'm looking for. I would be very interested to know if there could
      > > be an explanation as to why my ancestor was not listed, or if it was
      > > likely to just be a mistake.
      >
      > I didn't find Andrew or Janet in the 1851 census for Peterhead.
      >
      > As far as I know, the 1851 census for parishes in Aberdeenshire have not
      > been indexed. Some parishes have been indexed by individuals, but I
      > don't think any have been published yet either.
      >
      > Therefore I would be surprised if someone who was offering free searches
      > of the 1851 census have actually checked all the parishes in
      > Aberdeenshire for you. Your Kinloch could be living in the neighbouring
      > parish at the time.
      >
      > Regards, Wade.

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:00:59 -0700
      > From: "Joanne Pye" <joanne@...>
      > Subject: Re: Missing from census?
      >
      > Hi Wade,
      >
      > Thanks for your response! That would explain why they don't seem to be
      > there, thanks again.
      >
      > I was wondering though, in the information you very kindly gave me regarding
      > my KINLOCH's deaths, did they state any place of birth, or will that only
      > appear on the certificates?
      >
      > I have ordered the marriage cert for Andrew KINLOCH and hope that will give
      > me a clue as to where his was from. I think Janet WATSON was from Glasgow.
      >
      > Thanks once again Wade, it is much appreciated.
      > Joanne

      > Message: 4
      > Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:38:08 +0100
      > From: Sam Daniel <samdaniel@...>
      > Subject: Re: James Strachan & Amelia Gordon
      >
      > Great news! I will accept the details with an abundance of thanks,
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Sam
      >
      > In message <000d01c0183c$d41193c0$08428cd4@pbncomputer>, Alison Anderson
      > <A.M.Anderson@...> writes
      > >

      > >In February of this year Wade sent marriage details for a James Strachan &
      > >Amelia (Emily) Gordon to the Peterhead list, along with the death details of
      > >some of their family, for a Sam Daniel. If Sam Daniel is still a member of the
      > >list and is interested (or anyone else) I have the lair details for Lair No. C
      > >301, Peterhead Old Kirkyard, where children Helen Ann Strachan, John Gordon
      > >Strachan, and Margaret Hill Strachan are interred and will gladly send them to
      > >the Peterhead list if they don't already have the information.

    • Linda Adam
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2000
        Dear William;

        I too am frustrated at the lack of information available to make a
        concrete family connection. I would be interested in receiving the Lair
        information that you have for the Walker side. My family surname is
        Birnie but there is a strong connection to Walker. Certainly we must all
        be connected in some way, or so it should seem!

        Regards,
        Linda Adam
      • I Tilbury
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
          > I too am frustrated at the lack of information available to make a
          > concrete family connection. I would be interested in receiving the Lair
          > information that you have for the Walker side. My family surname is
          > Birnie but there is a strong connection to Walker. Certainly we must all
          > be connected in some way, or so it should seem!
          >
          > Regards,
          > Linda Adam
          > ATTN. Linda Adam
          > I wonder if you remember that you contacted me about the Birnie Children
          in the grave with the Kean Family
          > How are you get on , lets know I also have the leslie name on my family
          tree Joseph Kean married
          > Ann J. Leslie in Peterhead , They had a son born 6th August 1868 named
          John Ironside Kean
          > And a daughter born 30 may 1870 named Helen Scott Kean
          > Now did you know the last e mail i had from you had a attachment but when
          we looked there was nothing there
          > Regards Lynley Tilbury

        • I Tilbury
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
            > I tried to see if there were any links between the Leslies shown in your
            very
            > complete report, and my Leslie family. No such luck. It is amazing that
            in a small
            > town, in the 1700's and 1800's, there could be more than one Leslie family
            with no
            > direct links. I am still searching for my gg grandfather John Leslie,
            from
            > longside, born about 1800. I was cheered when I saw the Robert Leslie you
            listed,
            > but he does not fit. I think that my ggg grandfather and ggg grandmother
            were
            > Robert Leslie (Crofter) and Mary Strachan from Longside. They had a son
            John, but I
            > can't find anything to link to my John, although he dates fit.
            > I have a photograph of the gravestone of Alexander Leslie and Ann Jack,
            taken in the
            > old cemetery in Peterhead. Their grave is right next to that of my
            grandfather
            > James Rankin and my grandmother Janet Walker. If anyone wants it, I can
            e-mail a
            > copy.
            > Regards
            > William Leslie
            > ATT. William Leslie
            > I have also got a LESLIE in my Kean Family tree ANN J. LESLIE married
            JOSEPH KEAN 13/10/1863
            > They had two children John Ironside Kean born 6th of August 1868 at
            Peterhead
            >And Helen Scott Kean born 30th May 1870
            < This Ann J Leslie parents are Alexander Leslie and Mary Leslie [ ms LEASK]
            < Witnesses at this marriage are William Leslie and John H. Leslie
            <While looking at the LDS. ON LINE in case you dont know iswww.
            familysearch.org
            > I found this Ann Jack Leslie [c] 27/12/1835 Peterhead
            > Ann Jack [m] Alexander Leslie 29/11/1818 Peterhead
            .> Mary Leask [m] Alexander Lesly 14/2/1828
            > William Leslie [c] 26th August 1772 Episcopal Peterhead[ father Robert
            > William Ironside Leslie [c] 9/12/1842 Premay ABERDEEN [ father James
            mother Helen Ironside
            > Yet another William Leslie with the same parents born 2nd August 1859
            >.> Hope this might lead to somewhere
            Lynley Tilbury
            i.l.tilbury@...