Re: [Peterhead] Missing from census?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
      Hi Joanne,

      Joanne Pye wrote:

      > Hoping you may be able to offer an answer to my question. Recently I
      > received a link via a list, for the website
      > http://www.ancestralfindings.com, which is offering free lookups of
      > the 1851 census of the UK. I have just received my lookup, but it is
      > not the person I'm looking for.
      > I was hoping to find Andrew KINLOCH m to Janet WATSON. I know that
      > they died during 1859 and 1856 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, as this was the
      > info that Wade kindly sent me. They were both quite old when they
      > died, aged 92 and 87 years. However, the return for Andrew was for a
      > 44 year old man. I was informed by the person who did the lookup that
      > this was the only Andrew KINLOCH listed. Whilst I realise that this
      > man could be a relative of my Andrew, it is clear that he is not the
      > man I'm looking for. I would be very interested to know if there could
      > be an explanation as to why my ancestor was not listed, or if it was
      > likely to just be a mistake.

      I didn't find Andrew or Janet in the 1851 census for Peterhead.

      As far as I know, the 1851 census for parishes in Aberdeenshire have not
      been indexed. Some parishes have been indexed by individuals, but I
      don't think any have been published yet either.

      Therefore I would be surprised if someone who was offering free searches
      of the 1851 census have actually checked all the parishes in
      Aberdeenshire for you. Your Kinloch could be living in the neighbouring
      parish at the time.

    • Joanne Pye
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2000
        Hi Wade,

        Thanks for your response! That would explain why they don't seem to be
        there, thanks again.

        I was wondering though, in the information you very kindly gave me regarding
        my KINLOCH's deaths, did they state any place of birth, or will that only
        appear on the certificates?

        I have ordered the marriage cert for Andrew KINLOCH and hope that will give
        me a clue as to where his was from. I think Janet WATSON was from Glasgow.

        Thanks once again Wade, it is much appreciated.
        Joanne