Re: Carnegie/Leslie

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2000
      Hi Kevin,

      cindy carnegie wrote:

      > Robert CARNEGIE(shipbuilder,peterhead) married 05 Nov 1855 Ann LESLIE born
      > 1826 Peterhead, parents Alex Leslie and Ann Jack, brother William.
      >
      > William Leslie CARNEGIE born 20 Aug 1861 married 1892 peterhead, Elizabeth
      > BIRNIE, born 20 Oct 1860. parents Capt. Charles Birnie, Elizabeth Martin.
      >
      > On the Peterhead website there is a lair index (c247) with my
      > gggrandparents, and also a Margaret, i was wondering if i could obtain more
      > info from that source. Is there any records available that would have info
      > about shipcarpenters or shipbuilders from peterhead?
      > And finally, is there anyone from the area who does cemetery searches?

      Peterhead Marriages
      No.44, 8/11/1855 Peterhead, Robert Carnegie, age 28, ship-carpenter, bachelor,
      born Old Machar 1827, parents: Alexander Carnegie, farmer and Elizabeth
      Webster; married Ann Leslie, age 29, spinster, born Peterhead 1826, parents:
      Alexander Leslie, weaver and Ann Jack, witnesses Charles Carnegie and William
      Leslie.

      No.45, 22/12/1859 33 Marischal Street, Free Church, David Carnegie, 33,
      Peterhead, Shipmaster, bachelor, parents: Alexander Carnegie, farmer and
      Elizabeth Carnegie ms Webster (dead) married Barbara Lillie, 19, Peterhead,
      spinster, parents: William Lillie, cabinet maker and Jane Lillie ms Sellar,
      witnesses: Charles Carnegie and William Leslie.

      Peterhead Deaths
      No.57, Alexander Leslie, weaver (married), died 11/5/1857 2h am at 13 Windmill
      Street, male, 87 years, parents: Robert Leslie, crofter (deceased) and Margaret
      Leslie nee Dick (deceased), cause: dropsy, had for upwards of a year, informant:
      William Leslie, son, present.

      No.14, Margaret Jack, single, 21/1/1861 9h am at 7 Threadneedle Street, female,
      81 years, parents: William Jack, weaver (dead) and Isabella Jack ms Hutton
      (dead), cause: natural decay paralysis, informant: W. Robertson, nephew,
      present, occupier.

      No.6, Elizabeth Ann Carnegie, single, 24/1/1862 3h 20m pm at 13/2 Windmill
      Street, female, 3 years, parents: Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder and Ann Carnegie
      ms Leslie, cause: Aruchnitis? (scarlatina sequela), a week, informant: Robt.
      Carnegie, father, present.

      No.69, Isabella Jack, single, 11/4/1864 8 h pm at 70/3/ Kirk Street, female, 82
      years, William Jack, weaver (dead) and Isabella Jack ms Hutton (dead),
      informant: Wm. Robertson, nephew, present, 7/3 Treadneedle Street.

      No.154, Ann Leslie married to Alexander Leslie weaver, 22/10/1865 11h am at 13
      Windmill Street, female, parents William Jack, weaver (dead) and Isabella Jack
      ms Hutton (dead), cause: a) varicose tumour (about 8 months) b) pyemia? a
      fortnight, informant: William Leslie, son, present, occupier.

      No.42, Charles Carnegie, single, 16/2/1867 7h 20m pm at 13/1 Windmill Street,
      male 3 years, parents: Robert Carnegie and Ann Carnegie ms Leslie, cause:
      enteric fever, about three weeks, informant: Robt. Carnegie, father, present.

      No.142, John Leslie Carnegie, single, 5/10/1868, 2h 15m am at Windmill Street,
      male, 1 month, parents: Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder and Ann Carnegie ms Leslie,
      cause: unknown, no medical attendant, informant: Rob. Carnegie, father, present.

      1851 Peterhead Census
      District 1, page 7, No.11, Union Street,
      Alex Leslie, head, mar, 80, weaver, Peterhead
      Ann Leslie, wife, mar, 65, Peterhead
      William Leslie, son, unmar, 30, cooper, Peterhead
      Robert Carnigie, lodger, unmar, 24, Ship Carpenter, Old Machar
      John Flett, lodger, unmar, 19, Ship Carpenter, Orkney
      Duncan Forbes, lodger, unmar, 18, Grocer, Cruden

      Dristrict 5, page 23, No.102, 43 Threadneedle Street
      William Robertson, head, Widower, 45, Wright, Peterhead
      Margaret Robertson, daughter, unmar, 9, scholar, Peterhead
      Margaret Jack, aunt, unmar, 71, housekeeper, Peterhead

      District 13, page 6, No.25, 13 Kirk Street
      William Jack, head, 62, Peterhead
      Isabella Jack, sister, 68, Peterhead

      District 18, page 8, No.31, Whitehills
      Ann Leslie, servant, 24, Peterhead

      Old Kirkyard, Lair C247, Robert Carnegie, Shipbuilder
      12/7/1809, Wm Jack, age 69
      31/8/1829, Isa Hutton, 84
      5/12/1851, Wm Jack, 63
      14/4/1864, Isa Jack, 82
      22/2/1902, Ann L. Carnegie, 75
      19/8/1911 Robert Carnegie, 84
      16/1/1954 Margaret Jean Carnegie, 86

      Perhaps someone on the list could look and let you know the inscription on the
      headstone when they visit Peterhead.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards, Wade.
    • Alison Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
        Hi Wade,

        You recently sent details of some marriages and deaths to the Peterhead group re various Carnegie's, Leslie's and Jack's, wherein you asked if anyone could read an MI when they visited Peterhead.

        I managed to drag my husband on a visit to Peterhead a few days ago to look up some family Lair details and took a copy of the details you posted with me.

        Firstly as I was going to check lair details I checked the registers for lair no. C 247, which was the one queried, and found the following:

        Lair No. C 247 - Upright Headstone - Robt. Carnegie, Shipbuilder

        July 12, 1809 - Wm. Jack, age 69, father of W. Jack, weaver
        Aug. 31, 1829 - Isabella Hutton, age 84, mother of ditto
        Dec. 5, 1851 - Wm. Jack, age 63, weaver
        Ap. 14, 1864 - Isabel Jack, age 82, Kirk Street
        Feb. 22, 1902 - Ann L. Carnegie, age 75, Prince Street
        Aug. 19, 1911 - Robert Carnegie, age 84, Prince Street
        Jan. 20, 1954 - Margaret Jane Carnegie, age 86, The Neuk, King Street
        - Lair Closed -

        Also found were the next one in the Register:

        Lair No. C 248 - Upright Headstone - Robt. Carnegie, Shipbuilder

        Jan. 26, 1861 - Margt. Jack, age 81, Threadneedle Street
        Jan. 28, 1862 - Eliza. A. Carnegie, age 3 1/2, Windmill Street
        Feb. 20, 1867 - Charles Carnegie, age 3, Windmill Street
        Oct. 8, 1868 - John L. Carnegie, infant, Windmill Street

        I had a couple of minutes to spare and rechecked the deaths that you had quoted and realised the burials of Ann & Alexander Leslie were not included in the above and rechecked the registers and found the following:

        Lair No. C 281 - No Headstone - Wm. Leslie, fishcurer

        Oct. 25, 1865 - Ann Leslie, age 80, Windmill Street
        Ap. 10, 1888 - William Leslie, age 67, Jamaica Street

        Lair No. C 282 - Upright Headstone - Wm. Leslie, fishcurer

        May 14, 1857 - Alex. Leslie, age 87, Windmill Street

        The Lair's are in the rear of the kirkyard on the left-hand side, towards the middle, about seven rows from the rear. Lair nos. C 247 & 248 are directly behind C 282, which are the ones with headstones. The headstones read as follows:

        Lair C 247 - Erected by William Jack, weaver, in Peterhead to the memory of his father William Jack, who died the 12th of July, 1809 aged 69 years. Also Isabella Hutton, his mother who died the 31st of August, 1829 aged 84 years. Also the said Wm. Jack who died (rest of stone is underground, as the stone has broken of its base and broken piece has been stuck into ground at rear of the base).

        Lair C 248 - Erected by Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder, Peterhead, in memory of his children Elizabeth Ann who died 24th Jany. 1862 in her 4th year. Charles who died 16th Feby. 1867 aged 3 years and John who died 5th Octr. 1868 aged 1 month. Also of his wife Ann Leslie, who died 18th Feb. 1902 aged 75 years. Also the above Robert Carnegie, who died 16th August 1911 aged 84 years, and his son James who died 30th October 1936 aged 70 years. (Wording at bottom of stone - possibly quote from bible - unreadable).

        Lair C 282 - Erected by William Leslie, fishcurer in Peterhead, in memory of his father Alexander Leslie who died the 11th day of May, 1857, aged 87 years. Also of his mother Ann Jack, who died the 22nd of October 1865 aged 81 years. Also the above William Leslie who died 7th April 1888, aged 67 years.

        Hope this helps.

        Alison

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
          Hi Alison,

          Thank very much for this. This was requested by someone else on the
          list.

          Regards, Wade.
        • I Tilbury
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
            Hi Alison
            Do you know if this line of LESLIE are related to the KEAN family
            Because i have this Joseph Kean who married Ann j. Leslie [ the J i think
            will be for the name JACK]
            regards Lynley

> [...]
            at rear of the base).

            > Lair C 248 - Erected by Robert Carnegie, shipbuilder, Peterhead, in memory
            of his children Elizabeth Ann who died 24th Jany. 1862 in her 4th year.
            Charles who died 16th Feby. 1867 aged 3 years and John who died 5th Octr.
            1868 aged 1 month. Also of his wife Ann Leslie, who died 18th Feb. 1902
            aged 75 years. Also the above Robert Carnegie, who died 16th August 1911
            aged 84 years, and his son James who died 30th October 1936 aged 70 years.
            (Wording at bottom of stone - possibly quote from bible - unreadable).

            > Lair C 282 - Erected by William Leslie, fishcurer in Peterhead, in memory
            of his father Alexander Leslie who died the 11th day of May, 1857, aged 87
            years. Also of his mother Ann Jack, who died the 22nd of October 1865 aged
            81 years. Also the above William Leslie who died 7th April 1888, aged 67

          • Alison Anderson
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
              Hi Lynley,

              I'm sorry I have no knowledge of this family apart from the information
              already supplied.