Stettin

  • malcolm.simpson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2000
      To Alex.Ritchie/David Mathews
      Hi Alex,
              Szczecin is,of course the Polish city of what was the German Stettin and I am very doubtful of surviving records because of the past history of this area.
              I'm doubtful too of the whaling masters "moonlighting" in the "off-season" although I'm sure the crew certainly would have done so.I seem to have it in my head that he was possibly over there for ship-building purposes,icebreaking knowledge or the like.So rather than being a seaman on a ship he may have been the equivalent of an Owners representative when he died.
      I've discovered that there is a Polish consul in Hull and also one in Edinburgh so I shall try there for some information.
      Thanks for your kind interest.
      Best Wishes, Malcolm.