Re: [Peterhead] "Eclipse"

  • I Tilbury
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2000

      Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 6:06 AM
      Subject: [Peterhead] "Eclipse"

      To Lynley Tilbury.
      Hi Lynley,
                  Here is what information I have on the "Eclipse".She was built by A.Hall and Co. in Aberdeen in 1867 for the most famous Peterhead whaling family, the Grays.She was very strongly built for the ice even using Australian hardwood in her construction.She was ship rigged ( meaning square sails on each of her three masts) and also had quite a powerful stean engine for her day.She carried eight whale boats.David Gray jun. was master of her until 1891 when she was sold to a Dundee company.Your ancestor would have sailed under a Capt.W.F.Milne for the Davis Strait in 1901. A spectioneer was the man in charge of stripping the blubber off the whales.
      The "Eclipse" was later sold to the Norwegians who sold her on to the Russians where she was used for the exploration of the Siberian coast.
      I hope you find this of some interest,she was quite a famous vessel.
      Regards, Malcolm Simpson.
      Hi Malcolm
      Thankyou for replying to my e mail it was great to get the info. on the ship , do you know who whould hold a crew list for that
      trip if you can get that it whould be great .
      I have other family members who were on the ships and at the moment looking into there seamens tickets
                              Regards Lynley Tilbury