Re: [Peterhead] The KAK Virus

  • Eve Coppen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2000
      Hello Alex et al.,

      My McAfee virus checker detected a "Wscript.Kak" worm virus that came in with a Peterhead email last Tuesday (22/8/00) but could not delete or disinfect it. I went to the McAfee info site (www.nai.com/vinfo/) which led to a 3-page description of the virus characteristics, method of infection, etc, and then a list of things to do to remove it. This included removing all Kak.HTA and/or Kak.HTM files, deleting the default email signature setting, deleting any messages which may contain the embedded script and installing a Microsoft security patch (downloadable via the McAfee site). I did all this and seem now to be in the clear (I hope). I'm not an expert, Alex, do I need to do anything re the AUTOEXEC.BAT and REGISTRY items you mention?

      Eve Coppen