Re: [Peterhead] The KAK Virus

  • Robert Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2000
      Alex
      I too became infected.  Norton Anti Virus software located the virus but found it difficult to either delete, quarantine or repair.  I ended up losing all my inbox e mail account information.
      My machine received 7 e mails at that time all Peterhead one list and it seemed to identify one which came with a user whose email address was a set of initials like comsf (it was longer than that) but as I don't have any info from my inbox i can't give you the full address.  It was a member I didn't recognise from Canada I think.  Hope this helps
      Robert
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2000
        Hello Alex et al.,

        My McAfee virus checker detected a "Wscript.Kak" worm virus that came in with a Peterhead email last Tuesday (22/8/00) but could not delete or disinfect it. I went to the McAfee info site (www.nai.com/vinfo/) which led to a 3-page description of the virus characteristics, method of infection, etc, and then a list of things to do to remove it. This included removing all Kak.HTA and/or Kak.HTM files, deleting the default email signature setting, deleting any messages which may contain the embedded script and installing a Microsoft security patch (downloadable via the McAfee site). I did all this and seem now to be in the clear (I hope). I'm not an expert, Alex, do I need to do anything re the AUTOEXEC.BAT and REGISTRY items you mention?

        Eve Coppen