Re: [Peterhead] Missing from census?

  • David Matthew
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2000
      Joanne

      The reason may be that they were staying with relatives elsewhere or anywhere to be honest!.

      A number of 1851 Census details have been indexed. Although Aberdeenshire has not been published yet, the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society may have a draft version so I suggest you contact them. The address is 164 King Street, Aberdeen AB24 5BD.

      Hope you find what you are looking for.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2000
        Thanks David,

        Yeah, I'd thought of that too, but as I only know of one son at the moment, and they were not with him, then I thought they'd be living on their own.  Back to the drawing board!

        Thanks again!
        Joanne
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
          Hi Joanne,

          Joanne Pye wrote:

          > Hoping you may be able to offer an answer to my question. Recently I
          > received a link via a list, for the website
          > http://www.ancestralfindings.com, which is offering free lookups of
          > the 1851 census of the UK. I have just received my lookup, but it is
          > not the person I'm looking for.
          > I was hoping to find Andrew KINLOCH m to Janet WATSON. I know that
          > they died during 1859 and 1856 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, as this was the
          > info that Wade kindly sent me. They were both quite old when they
          > died, aged 92 and 87 years. However, the return for Andrew was for a
          > 44 year old man. I was informed by the person who did the lookup that
          > this was the only Andrew KINLOCH listed. Whilst I realise that this
          > man could be a relative of my Andrew, it is clear that he is not the
          > man I'm looking for. I would be very interested to know if there could
          > be an explanation as to why my ancestor was not listed, or if it was
          > likely to just be a mistake.

          I didn't find Andrew or Janet in the 1851 census for Peterhead.

          As far as I know, the 1851 census for parishes in Aberdeenshire have not
          been indexed. Some parishes have been indexed by individuals, but I
          don't think any have been published yet either.

          Therefore I would be surprised if someone who was offering free searches
          of the 1851 census have actually checked all the parishes in
          Aberdeenshire for you. Your Kinloch could be living in the neighbouring
          parish at the time.

        • Joanne Pye
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 14, 2000
            Hi Wade,

            Thanks for your response! That would explain why they don't seem to be
            there, thanks again.

            I was wondering though, in the information you very kindly gave me regarding
            my KINLOCH's deaths, did they state any place of birth, or will that only
            appear on the certificates?

            I have ordered the marriage cert for Andrew KINLOCH and hope that will give
            me a clue as to where his was from. I think Janet WATSON was from Glasgow.

            Thanks once again Wade, it is much appreciated.
            Joanne