Re: [Peterhead] Cremations

  • Nicholas J. Moir
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21 1:46 PM
      HI Alex & John,

      You are not quite correct in saying that they point you direct to the indexes, as all they do is give you a list of names and years of death, along with the Registered District of the death. You then have to send for an Extract of the Certificate at a cost of £10, and there is NO GUARANTEE that you have chosen the correct one, unless you know the place and year of the death.

      If you are lucky, you will obtain an Extract of the correct Death Certificate, but there are hundreds of people who send their £10 or $16 (US) and find that they have a copy of a certificate pertaining to someone who is not related.

      It is a good system, but it can be very, very, expensive if you don't get the correct Extract.

      Take care,

      Nick  Moir
      Aberdeenshire & Angus Ancestors.
      nimo@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21 2:33 PM
        John Cave

        I deleted the earlier e-mails so I do not what period you are looking for.

        The online search facility on the Origins database in Edinburgh is £6 for 30 pages of searches but the deaths end in 1924. The original registers up to 1900 are held with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Aberdeen (the ones in Edinburgfh are copies) I believe and run up to 1900. The charge is £10 per hour but you can look at the entry whereas on the Origins database you would need to order a certificate at £10 a time.

        If you do the work in Aberdeen you will need to book in advance. You might be able to get some help in Aberdeen from the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society for a small charge, it really depends on how common the name you are looking for is.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
          In message <000e01c00bb7$7dca3b20$7c4e893e@uxledkvk>, David Matthew
          <dmatt@...> writes
          > Births, Deaths and Marriages in Aberdeen (the ones in Edinburgh
          > are copies) I believe and run up to 1900. The charge is £10 per
          > hour but you can look at the entry whereas on the Origins database
          > you would need to order a certificate at £10 a time.

          The fee at Aberdeen Registry office is £10 for the first hour and £5
          per hour after. Just been in, and worth every penny to either read the
          original registry book or via an index to read them on microfiche.

          --
          Dr R H Bain
        • Rodi Bain
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
            Fit like?

            If you live outwith Scotland, find a researcher who could spend a
            half day or complete day plus their fee to find loads of certificates
            for you on fiche from the computer index for not too exorbitant a cost.

            In message <016f01c00bb0$d42ad3a0$f10301d5@nimo>, Nicholas J. Moir
            <nimo@...> writes

            Rodi Bain

            Aberdeenshire/Banffshire name lists.