Peterhead Whaling Ships

  • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2000
      To Joanne Pye.
      Hi Joanne,
      I don't know a great deal about the ships you mention.They
      weren't among the famous and successful ones.
      I first note the "Dublin" in 1846 under a Capt.W.Mackie and in the
      following seasons sailed under various Capt.Mackie's.One of my
      g.Grandfathers, James Taylor sailed as an able-seaman on this vessel
      during 1851 to 1854 so it is possible your relatives were shipmates
      alongside him.
      The better known "Ranger" was lost in 1843 and a new one appears
      about 1853 under a Capt.W.Cardno.
      The "Xanthus" appears about 1852 and sailed for a number of years
      under a Capt.J. Reid.
      "The Peterhead Whaling Trade" by Alex.R.Buchan is a first class
      book for information on that business.
      A "line coiler" as the title states coiled the rope attached to
      the harpoons in the bow of the whale boats.This had to be done
      meticulously or all hands could be pulled underwater and lost when
      the whale "sounded".
      Hope this helps a little.
      Regards, Malcolm.