Re: [Peterhead] John Bruce

  • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2000
      Alex Ritchie wrote:

      > For Dr.Elizabeth Holmes
      >
      > Hello Betty,
      > I'm afraid that the John Bruce, nephew of John
      > Hall is a mystery to me.
      > My interest in John Hall was because his sister,
      > Elspet Hall married John Birnie, whose family eventually married some
      > of my Martin ancestors.
      > The Halls came originally from Monquittar and
      > moved to Boddam. John Hall and his father Charles Hall were both
      > blacksmiths.
      > I've tried to make the connection with the Bruces
      > but with no success. John Hall may well have had more than one sister
      > (Elspet) but I have no evidence of that. Either through a sister or
      > his wife's family (his wife was Mary Philip) this John Bruce (Nephew)
      > would have come.
      > Sorry I can't be more helpful.
      >
      > Best
      > Regards.......................................Alex Ritchie

      Thanks for the reply Alex, not of the names you mention are in my
      Bruce/Diverall families. Betty.
    • Niles & Becchi
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2000
        I have a Susan Bruce who was born in 1825 in Old Deer to a John Bruce who
        was a Cooper in Aberdeen (at least in 1847 when Susan Bruce was married.)
        She married a Gordon Scott. They lived in Peterhead in the 1881 Census.
        (They were my g g grandparents.) Any relations?

        Becchi Oesterle

        > > I'm afraid that the John Bruce, nephew of John
        > > Hall is a mystery to me.
        > > My interest in John Hall was because his sister,
        > > Elspet Hall married John Birnie, whose family eventually married some
        > > of my Martin ancestors.
        > > The Halls came originally from Monquittar and
        > > moved to Boddam. John Hall and his father Charles Hall were both
        > > blacksmiths.
        > > I've tried to make the connection with the Bruces
        > > but with no success. John Hall may well have had more than one sister
        > > (Elspet) but I have no evidence of that. Either through a sister or
        > > his wife's family (his wife was Mary Philip) this John Bruce (Nephew)
        > > would have come.
        > > Sorry I can't be more helpful.
        > >
        > > Best
        > > Regards.......................................Alex Ritchie

        > > Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
        >
        > Thanks for the reply Alex, not of the names you mention are in my
        > Bruce/Diverall families. Betty.

      • I Tilbury
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
          > I have a Susan Bruce who was born in 1825 in Old Deer to a John Bruce who
          > was a Cooper in Aberdeen (at least in 1847 when Susan Bruce was married.)
          > She married a Gordon Scott. They lived in Peterhead in the 1881 Census.
          > (They were my g g grandparents.) Any relations?
          >
          > Becchi Oesterle
          > From Lynley Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...
          > To Niles & Becchi woodford@...
          .> RE GORDON SCOTT
          .>.> My gg grandparents are Robert Kean and Helen Scott
          >> They had a son Gordon, and that made me wonder as the name seems not to
          be in the Kean family
          >>.anywhere else ., Can you tell me a bit more , what family they had
          REGARDS LYNLEY

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000

            Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 6:06 AM
            Subject: [Peterhead] John Bruce

            For Dr.Elizabeth Holmes

            Hello Betty,
                                I'm afraid that the John Bruce, nephew of John Hall is a mystery to me.
                                My interest in John Hall was because his sister, Elspet Hall married John Birnie, whose family eventually married some of my Martin ancestors.
                                The Halls came originally from Monquittar and moved to Boddam. John Hall and his father Charles Hall were both blacksmiths.
                                I've tried to make the connection with the Bruces but with no success. John Hall may well have had more than one sister (Elspet) but I have no evidence of that. Either through a sister or his wife's family (his wife was Mary Philip) this John Bruce (Nephew) would have come.
                                Sorry I can't be more helpful.

                                Best Regards.......................................Alex Ritchie
            I whould like to know about the Martin Family and if any came to New Zealand as there is some related to the Kean Family
                             Lynley        i.l.tilbury@...