1851 Census

  • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 9, 2000
      Hi Wade, On the 1861 census of Peterhead Dis.18 Berry Den., there ia an
      Emday Diverall age47 who is a widow to Wm Arbuthnot. Is she on the 1851
      census?? I am not sure who she is, but there is one Diverall Marriage
      that I haven't " attached/fitted in" anywhere yet-Amelia Jamieson to
      William Divral in 1842. Betty.
    • malcolm.simpson
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 15, 2000
        To Wade Buchan.
        Hi Wade,
        Thankyou for your welcome information. Can't believe my family seemed to move addresses so much - 58,Merchant St.. is another new one on me.
        Regards, Malcolm.

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 4, 2000
          Hi Alex,

          Alex Ritchie wrote:

          > Wade, can I impose upon you for information from the 1851 Census ?
          >
          > I'm looking for a John Mitchell (I would guess his age to be around
          > 50)
          > His wife was a Margaret Mitchell (nee Margaret Forbes Symmers)
          >
          > Don't know if you have access to 1841 Census but, if you do, can you
          > look there as well ?

          Sorry didn't find any that was close in Peterhead. Only found a
          Margaret Mitchell, age 46, born Longside, but unmarried.

          I don't have access to the 1841 census at home yet. I will not be going
          into the city for awhile, but I will keep an eye out next time I have
          look at the 1841 census.

        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 7, 2000
            For Wade Buchan :

            Wade, can I impose upon you for information from the 1851 Census ?

            I'm looking for a John Mitchell (I would guess his age to be around 50)
            His wife was a Margaret Mitchell (nee Margaret Forbes Symmers)

            Don't know if you have access to 1841 Census but, if you do, can you look there as well ?

            Many Thanks & Kindest Regards..................................................Alex Ritchie

          • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 26, 2000
              Wade, I have a copy of an OPR marriage in Peterhead. William Divral,
              seaman m. Amelia Jamieson in Peterhead-16 September 1842.
              I have not been able to 'fit' in this marriage anywhere. However it now
              seems likely that it is a 2nd marriage for William Divral b.abt 27 June
              1807 -parents William Diverall and Isabella Mitchell.
              He 1st m. Mary Catto in 1830.I haven't found them in the 1841 census.
              Is William Divral/Deveril/Diverall etc.! in the 1851 census and/or an
              Amelia Divral. In the 1861 census there is an Emday Diverall who is a
              housekeeper and is a widow. The William Diverall in question died 'about
              1850'?. Betty
            • elmarboy@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 4, 2001
                Wade,

                Is there an 1851 Census available for other counties and
                parishes, such as Peterculter, Newhills, Old Machar and Midmar?
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 9, 2001
                  elmarboy@... wrote:

                  > Is there an 1851 Census available for other counties and
                  > parishes, such as Peterculter, Newhills, Old Machar and Midmar?

                  Yes, they can be viewed through any LDS Family History Centre. I don't
                  know of anyone having indexed them as yet, if this is what you were
                  asking. If you are a member of the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS they will
                  do a search for a name in the census.

                • Alex Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 28, 2002
                    For Wade Buchan :

                    Hi Wade,
                    When you get a chance, could you locate a family for me on the 1851 Census ?
                    I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and the family.

                    Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on that one also.

                    Many Thanks & Best Regards

                    Alex. Ritchie

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 4, 2002
                      Hi Alex,

                      Alex Ritchie wrote:

                      > For Wade Buchan :
                      >
                      > Hi Wade,
                      > When you get a chance, could you locate a family for
                      > me on the 1851 Census ?
                      > I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He
                      > may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would
                      > be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and
                      > the family.
                      >
                      > Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to
                      > the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on
                      > that one also.

                      1851 Peterhead Census
                      District 8, Page 6, No.36, Ronheads
                      Catherine Martin, head, 35, Seamans wife, Peterhead
                      William Martin, son, 12, Seamans son, Peterhead
                      Jean Martin, daughter, 10, Peterhead
                      Marion Martin, daughter, 4, Peterhead

                      No.37
                      Jean Martin, head, widow, 71, House Proprietor, Peterhead

                      I have the 1841 census for Roanheads and found:
                      District 5, Page 13, Roanheads
                      Sarah Robertson, 55, Fish Vendor, Y
                      Katherine Martin, 20, Y
                      William Martin, 2, Y
                      Jane Martin, 8 months, Y

                      District 10 (at sea), Page 16
                      George Martin, 25, Seaman, Y

                      I have two voyage details for George if you are interested.

                    • Alex Ritchie
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 10, 2002
                        For Wade Buchan

                        Wade,
                        Many thanks for the Census information.
                        I would really appreciate the details of George Martin's voyages which you offered.
                        The only one I have details of is, in fact, his last in 1867 when he was first mate on the Dundee whaler "Camperdown".
                        Just as they were pulling away he jumped from the quay, lost his footing and fell into the water. At first his injuries did not seem to be serious but by the time they reached Lerwick on their way to the whaling grounds he had died. His remains were interred in Lerwick although I've never been able to track down a Death Certificate (I guess these Shetlanders were a law unto themselves !!).

                        Thanks Again........................................Alex Ritchie

                      • Cathi Morton
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 4, 2003
                          Hi Janice,
                          My GGGrandmother was Helen Wallace, born Sept 19, 1824. Her father was
                          William Wallace b. 1798 in Dublin Ireland and her mother was Helen Chisholm
                          b. 1798 in Peterhead. They were married 12/21/1823. Hope this is of some
                          help and is your Helen Wallace. I have further info if you need it.

                          Cathi

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 10, 2003
                              Hi Marilyn,

                              1851 Peterhead Census
                              District 4, Page 12, No.57, 31 Merchant Street
                              Alexander Robertson, head, mar, 37, Solicitor, Insurance Broker & Ship-owner, Peterhead
                              Isabella Robertson, wife, mar, 28, Pitsligo
                              Margaret J Robertson, daughter, 7, Scholar, Peterhead
                              Robert Robertson, son, 6, scholar, Peterhead
                              George Robertson, son, 4, Peterhead
                              Alexander Robertson, son, 3, Peterhead
                              Milne J Robertson, son, 1, Peterhead
                              James T Robertson, 5 months, Peterhead
                              Margaret Whitecross, servant, 29, Nurse, Peterhead
                              Margaret Paterson, servant, 23, Nurse, Tyrie
                              Ann Robertson, servant, 19, Kitcheb Maid, Peterhead
                              Ann Pressly, servant, 22, House Maid, Fraserburgh

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 11, 2003
                                Hi Wade.
                                I am trying to locate information on Alexander Davidson.
                                From the National Archives of Canada, Federal Census of 1871(Ontario Index)
                                Here is what I have.
                                Davidson, Alexander age 49 born 1822
                                Peterhead, Scotland
                                Married , 1850- Jane? Born 1829
                                Occupation -Porter
                                District Oxford North(014)
                                Sub-district Woodstock Town(E)
                                Division 1
                                Page 18
                                Microfilm reel C-9912-3
                                Reference----Statistics Canada
                                They had 7 children Jane b 1853
                                Elsie b 1860
                                John b 1862
                                Harry b 1866
                                Helen b 1867
                                George b1870 d1944
                                Mary b 1872
                                George Davidson was my grandfather.
                                Alexander Davidson's father was also Alexander and must have been born
                                around 1790 in Peterhead Scotland.
                                Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                Diana Beatty

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 14, 2003
                                  Hi Diana,

                                  I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.

                                  It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden name and date of marriage for parents.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 16, 2003
                                    My Alexander Davidson must have emigrated to Canada before that time. I have
                                    also found a brother John born in 1824 in Scotland, but no mention of either
                                    of their wives, however I think they must have come to Canada at the same
                                    time,probably before 1850.
                                    > I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.
                                    >
                                    > It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the
                                    children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden
                                    name and date of marriage for parents.

                                    > Regards, Wade.

                                  • diana beatty
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 18, 2003
                                      Hi Wade
                                      I think my Alexander Davidson and his brother John, may have left Peterhead
                                      before 1851, as his 7children seem to have been born in Canada 1853-1870,
                                      but his father, who was also Alexander wrote a thesis in medicine(in Latin)
                                      at the University of Edinborough in 1819, so he must have been born around
                                      1795 in Peterhead.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 29, 2003
                                        Hi Diana,

                                        There is only an Alexander Davidson aged 61 a Mason born in Lonmay, that is close enough to being born in 1795.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 13 8:00 PM
                                          MessageHi Ian,

                                          Only one John Robertson that age in the 1851 Census, however his wife was Janet Brown and he died in 1860 Peterhead. Did not find a Helen or Robert fit either. There is a death in 1856, he was a Ship Carpenter and died at sea, the 1856 deaths only give that he was married. On James' marriage certificate does it state if both parents are still alive?

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 21 9:43 AM
                                            Hi Wade,
                                            I finally found some more info on my Alexander Davidson. He was born
                                            Jan.15, 1821.in Aberdeenshire Scotland, and died Sept. 9, 1910 in Woodstock,
                                            Ontario Canada.
                                            Married to Jean Valentine( sometimes listed as Jane)
                                            born March 23,1830,Aberdeenshire Scotland.
                                            died Aug.28, 1895. Woodstock Ontario
                                            They emigrated to Canada and arrived in Woodstock Ontario in 1854.
                                            His father was Alexander, and must have been born around 1790. I believe
                                            they came from Peterhead.
                                            Can you help me, or does anyone else tie in with this?
                                            Sincerely, Diana Beatty.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 24 4:12 PM
                                              Hi Diana,

                                              I had a quick look at the IGI (Family Search) on the Internet. Alexander Davidson and Jean Valentine married 1 April 1854 in Ellon. Also there is a birth for a Jean in the Chapel of Garioch parish that matches the date you gave. Didn't find a matching Alexander. Someone has also submitted this family to the Ancestral File, if it is not already you.

                                              I suggest looking at the Ellon marriage on the OPR, either on film or Scotlandspeople web site, as it can sometimes give the parish they were from.

                                              This is the only Alexander Davidson born about 1790 in Peterhead.

                                              Peterhead 1851 Census
                                              District 19, Page 14, No.41, Sterlinghill
                                              Alexander Davidson, head, amr, 61, Mason, Lonmay
                                              Isabella Davidson, wife, 54, Peterhead
                                              Isabella Davidson, daughter, 17, Peterhead

                                              Regards, Wade.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 24 5:50 PM
                                                Wade,
                                                I am pretty new at this and am unfamiliar with the OPR.Can you tell me
                                                where to find that.
                                                Thanks for all your help. Diana.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 25 6:17 PM
                                                  Diana,

                                                  The Old Parochial Registers (OPR) for Scotland are pre-1855 before Civil Registration began. These records have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints and can be hired through any of their Family History Centres. They are also available on the Scotlandspeople web site. If your a member of the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS they will also do look ups for members.

                                                  The information varies in each parish and even within the same parish, depends on the Minister/Elder recording the information.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 27 11:50 PM
                                                    Hi Martin,

                                                    District 4, Page 5, No.18, 11 Maiden Street
                                                    Margaret Anderson, head, wid, 67, Annuitant, Macduff, Ban
                                                    Ann Anderson, dau, 43, Organist, Banff, Ban
                                                    Jane Anderson, dau, 29, Formerly Milliner, Thurso, Caithness
                                                    Ann Anderson, grand-dau, 13, Scholar, Peterhead

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 6, 2004
                                                      Hi Wade. You were correct, the Alexander Davidson that married Jean
                                                      Valentine was my great grandfather. Now I am looking for his
                                                      father,Alexander, who would have been born around 1790, and lived in Lonmay.
                                                      He could have been the one married to Isabella, but I believe he was
                                                      involved in the Medical profession, as my brother has a thesis on kidney
                                                      disease, written by him, in Latin, from the University of Edinborough. That
                                                      is all I know.

                                                      ----