George Simpson

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 9, 2000
      For Elisabeth Wilson :

      Hi Elisabeth,
                            I guess it is possible that what I read could have been Soutter (Another famour Peterhead Sea-faring name).
                            But it was the way the gravestone saif "died at" which leads me to thinks that what followed was a place rather than another person.
                            I really wish the headstone was in better shape. I'll have to try and look closer next time I'm in Peterhead.

                            Best Regards.............................Alex Ritchie
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30, 2000
        For Malcolm Simpson

        Malcolm, I went back up to Peterhead this week and took a close look at the headstone. It actually says :

        George Simpson sometime master of the Traveller of Peterhead died at Stetten on September 11th.1848 in his 51st. year of his age and interred there.

        So, looks like he is buried at Stettin in the Baltic in spite of what the Peterhead burial records say. As you will probably know, the Baltic trade figured largely with Peterhead for many years so this is not really surprising.
        I wonder if the authorities in Stettin could locate a burial place or headstone commemorating this event ?

        Fascinating, isn't it ?              Kindest Regards.............Alex Ritchie

      • malcolm.simpson
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31, 2000
          To Alex.Ritchie
          Hi Alex,
                      Thanks once more for your help.The "plot thickens" as they say.What on earth could he be doing in Stettin?He had been in the whaling trade all his life as far as I know and Poland or it was possibly German in those days hardly enter the picture.However, I shall now have to find out and shall keep you informed.
                  Referring back to William Walker of the "Oscar"; he was a "landsman" from Aberdeen, that is an inexperienced seaman.
          Best Wishes.Malcolm.
        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2000
            For Malcolm Simpson & David Matthew

            Hi Malcolm, the "Baltic Trade" was a VERY big element of Peterhead's sea trade for many years and Stettin is one of the biggest Baltic ports. So the fact that Stettin is involved is no surprise.
            Could it be that George Simpson (and other whalers) took part in other trade during the "off" season for whaling ?
            The one thing I'm certain is that it is Stettin (written Stetten) that's on the gravestone.

            David, yes, Stettin is the German spelling. The Polish spelling is Szczecin. Is Kew likely to have records about seamen buried overseas at that period (1848) ? I thought that would have been unlikely.
            The other possibility is getting in touch with the City Authorities in Stettin and seeing if they have a burial record but that might be a laborous process.

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 21, 2000
              For Malcolm Simpson :

              Hi Malcolm,
              I've been staying "Off the Air" recently because my machine got infected by the KAK Virus (or more correctly the KAK Worm) which comes via an e-mail (This one doesn't even need an attachment.....the straight e-mail message is the carrier). But now I believe I have successfully dis-infected my machine (and installed the software patch from Microsoft for OUTLOOK EXPRESS where the security loophole existed).

              Ref. George Simpson. No, I didn't mean that he would have been "moonlighting" as a crew member. I meant that, presumably, the whaling "season" was only part of the year and that during the off-season they may have taken up contracts for other shipping work (e.g. in the Baltic trade). I don't know if that was done by the whaling ship owners and captains ?

              Saw a reference you made to Wade regarding Merchant Street and the Simpsons. Didn't see you original question but, if it's of interest to you, I have the details of the Simpson family in the 1841 Census also at Merchant Street - popular residential area for the sea-faring community (I believe the Penny family lived there at one time).

              Best Regards................................Alex Ritchie

            • Wilson Family
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 24, 2000
                At 07:09 21/09/2000 +0100, Alex Ritchie wrote:

                > [snip] Merchant Street - popular residential area for the sea-faring
                community.

                "My" family the William Gordons also lived in 2 houses in Merchant Street -
                over three generations for about 80 years. My great great grandfather
                (William) was a seaman, also described as merchant in his lair record, and
                believed to have been part owner of a ship. If anyone is interested I could
                try scanning in a photo or two of Merchant Street taken last year, and
                sending it as an attachment. Email me privately if you would like that.
                It goes straight down from Field Marshal Keith's statue in the centre of
                town to the harbour facing the bay - is this the inner harbour? - and
                various stores and chandleries so you can see why it was popular.

                By the way does anyone know who owned all these terraces? Was each house
                individually owned by richer people like the merchants, or were they owned
                by the town corporation or a local large landowner?

                Elisabeth Wilson
                South Hobart, Tasmania
                researching GORDON, GIBB, YOUNG, PAUL, CRAIG, GROTE
              • Alex Ritchie
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 24, 2000
                  For Elisabeth Wilson

                  Hello Elisabeth,
                  Yes, if you are standing at Marischal Keith's statue looking down Broad Street, Merchant Street would be down on your right (Police Station on the corner). The Episcopalian Church is on Merchant Street. Looking down Merchant Street you would really be looking on to the South Bay rather than the inner harbours (or, more recently, the new pier which has effectively created a larger south harbour).
                  The housing on Merchant Street would not have been publicly owned. I do know that several sea-faring families lived on Merchant Street (e.g. the Simpsons, the Pennys) and they would, presumably, be relatively wealthy shipmasters. Sometimes the ship-owners referred to themselves as merchants However, some street names around that area have associations with trade etc. (e.g. Jamaica Street). That's all part of the "Original" Peterhead which developed around the harbour(s).

                  Best Regards...................................................Alex Ritchie

                • I Tilbury
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 4, 2000
                    Hi Alex
                    I thought i whould let you know the info below on Merchant Street was great
                    I wonder if my Kean Family went to that church . Also the last e mail i had
                    from you i forwarded it to Wade but have never heard back
                    Lynley

                    > Yes, if you are standing at Marischal Keith's
                    statue looking down Broad Street, Merchant Street would be down on your
                    right (Police Station on the corner). The Episcopalian Church is on Merchant
                    Street. Looking down Merchant Street you would really be looking on to the
                    South Bay rather than the inner harbours (or, more recently, the new pier
                    which has effectively created a larger south harbour).
                    > The housing on Merchant Street would not have
                    been publicly owned. I do know that several sea-faring families lived on
                    Merchant Street (e.g. the Simpsons, the Pennys) and they would, presumably,
                    be relatively wealthy shipmasters. Sometimes the ship-owners referred to
                    themselves as merchants However, some street names around that area have
                    associations with trade etc. (e.g. Jamaica Street). That's all part of the
                    "Original" Peterhead which developed around the harbour(s).

                    > Best
                    Regards...................................................Alex Ritchie

                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
                      Some time ago Malcolm (Simpson) and I speculated about a connection between George Simpson & Andrew Simpson. I wrote :

                      Keep in mind also Andrew Simpson who married Elizabeth Martin (sister of John Martin Jnr.) in 1828. When they married he was listed as a "seaman in North Shields" but their daughters were certainly born in Peterhead.They had two daughters, Jean Innes Simpson (b.1829) and Elizabeth Martin Simpson (b.1831).
                      Based upon the first daughter's name, Andrew Simpson would be related to George Simpson (perhaps a brother ?). Trouble is, I can't find any trace of this family after the 1831 birth. I have tried records in England & Australia without success.they must have gone somewhere !!

                      Subsequently I discovered that Andrew Simpson, Elizabeth Martin & family moved to, and lived in Tynemouth (English Census Records) the rest of their lives. If Andrew Simpson came from that area ( and it's only an "if"), then George Simpson himself may have actually come from North-East England.

                      I've always thought it curious that, on the family gravestone, George Simpson mentions his mother (Margaret Buchan) but makes no mention of his father.

                      Alex Ritchie
                    • David Britt
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
                        Thanks Alex.. I knew from past experience that you were the go-to-person for
                        Ship's Masters..  All the best... db

                        ________________________________
[...]

                      • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
                          Hi Alex,

                          So I decided to google Andrew Simpson and to my surprise I came across your article that you wrote for the Family History Society of Buchan Spring 2009 Newsletter - well done!

                          I have also found where there were many many XXXX Innes Simpson born through out the UK - so I dont think we can go by the name Innes as a connection to the same family.

                          But in saying that I did find this so far about Andrew.
                          Name: Andrew Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jan 1792
                          Baptism/Christening Place: Christ Church, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
                          Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Margaret
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02173-5
                          System Origin: England-EASy
                          Source Film Number: 1068907
                          Reference Number: item 4
                          Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

                          I wish they listed his mothers full name!! I wonder if it was Buchanan - I have not foudn a marriage for them as of yet.

                          Name: Jean Innes Simpson
                          Gender: Female
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Aug 1829
                          Baptism/Christening Place: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-5
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 993353
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: Margaret Innis Simpson
                          Gender: Female
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1836
                          Baptism/Christening Place: CHRIST CHURCH, TYNEMOUTH, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND
                          Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Elizabeth
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C15597-5
                          System Origin: England-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 1068908
                          Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

                          Cheers
                          Susan