Peterhead Seamen

  • Joanne Pye
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2000
      Hi all,

      I have heard that there is a list of seamen at the end of the 1851 census, and was wondering if someone could tell me what information these entries include as I have no idea!

      In particular, I would be very interested and grateful if sks could tell me if the following men are listed on it.  These are:

      CHARLES MILNE    b1830 approx. Merchant Seaman.   Maybe living with a MARY SMITH (his mother) or WILLIAM MILNE (his father) but not necessarily both.

      Also:

      JOHN WEBSTER
      BENJAMIN SKINNER

      These two gentlemen were witnesses to Charles' wedding and I am hoping to find them as seamen too.  My apologies for being so vague, but I have little information on these men prior to 1851.

      Thank you so much for your understanding and I look forward to hopefully speaking to some of you soon.
      Joanne.
    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2002
        Lynn, Thank you for the information about the ship SS Labrador. Robert
        Ogston age 42 is in my husband's family tree. How does one get the
        information about the Peterhead Seaman-through the Mormon's Family
        History Centres?-if so-under which heading are they in cataloges?
        Betty.
      • i.l.tilbury
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2002
          For Elizabeth Holmes
          Hi Betty
          Im so glad i have been able to help ., what i have is Agreement and account
          of crew no 52
          What it says about your Robert Ogston , theres his name, then next to that
          it says his age , then Peterhead
          Then if in the reserveno of commission 45531, then it says he was last on
          the ship Tay of Dundee, 1873
          He was a fast Harpooner
          Now if you look on the net for the Hudson Bay Company Achives , contact then
          ,
          The Lady who will help you is Ann Morton , they are very helpful and tou
          will be surpriced at what you might get
          Lyn

          > Lynn, Thank you for the information about the ship SS Labrador. Robert
          > Ogston age 42 is in my husband's family tree. How does one get the
          > information about the Peterhead Seaman-through the Mormon's Family
          > History Centres?-if so-under which heading are they in cataloges?
          > Betty.
          >
          > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

        • joanne.pye
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
            Hi Wade and everyone,

            I was wondering, do you have any information on the following 2 seamen
            please?

            Shand McKINNON born approx 1818 in Peterhead. He was a ship's keeper,
            Ticket No: 34985 - BT 98/2680. I think he may have died either on board the
            COLUMBIA in 1851 or in Greenland whilst working. I think he was the son of
            John McKINNON and Isabella RIACH nee RAE.

            I realise I have asked you about Shand before but as I've been given this
            additional information, I thought I'd ask your advice. I hope you don't
            mind. Do you know where this death is likely to have been recorded?

            Also, do you have anything about James MILNE born approx 1829 Crimond,
            ticket number 129347 / BT/98/2680. I believe he was on the ships DUBLIN of
            Peterhead and ENTERPRISE of Peterhead. I'd be really grateful if you could
            tell me anything about this man as I'm hoping he is a brother to my Charles
            MILNE.

            Thank you very much for any information you can offer and thank you also for
            your time.

            Joanne
            Researching in Peterhead: MILNE, KINLOCH, McKINNON, RIACH, WALKER
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
              Hi Joanne,

              I guess your new information is from the Seamen's Crewlist 1851 CD by Liz Hore. I don't have any extra merchant marine information and as they were both away in Greenland whaling, they don't appear in the 1851 Census.

              Shand McKinnon died 6th April 1851 in the Greenland area whilst whaling, the comments say cause unknown. In other crew agreements I've seen, the cause is usually given for accidents eg. falling from rigging. This might suggest it was a medical condition. The other problem is the death was before civil registration, so you will not get a death certificate. The whaling boats were known to pick up extra crew in the Shetlands, so Shand could have been buried at sea, the first Port of return ie. Shetlands or somewhere else or returned to Peterhead and buried in a family plot.

              Since you know the ticket numbers for both of them, you can get the Seamen's Ticket information, which should give the date of birth and physical description. I'd also suggest checking to see if he was buried in Peterhead knowing the year and the unusual name.

            • joanne.pye
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                Hi Wade,

                Thank you so much for your help with this, I'll certainly now try and find
                out where he was buried. I was given the information from someone who has
                the CD you mentioned and thank you for your suggestion of obtaining his
                information, I'll try that too!

                Thanks again,