642Re: Peterhead photographer

    Sep 3, 1999
      Hi Val,

      Val Lowrie wrote:

      > Would anyone know the date of operation of the photographerJames
      > SHIVAS46 Queen StPeterhead. and another one same name,J. SHIVAS,
      > photographic artist63 Queen StPeterhead.

      James Shivas first began taking photos in Peterhead in August 1859 at 40
      Broad Street, May 1863 at 59 Broad Street, April 1866 at 32 Queen
      Street. After Joseph Collier left Peterhead, James Shivas was the
      leading photographer in the town. By June 1867 his address was 63 Queen
      Street. In 1867, a picture measuring fifteen by twelve inches cost
      fifteen shillings (75p) for the first copy and seven shillings and
      sixpence (37 1/2p) for subsequent copies. It seems that he moved to 46
      Queen Street 1874. In the early 1900's it was J.Shivas and Son, James
      senior died 10th January 1930.

      I hope the above gives you an idea as to when the photo might have been
      taken. This information was obtained from "A Peterhead Portrait" by Jim
      Buchan.