5986RE: [Peterhead] WW1 Naval Records

    Jan 20, 2014

      Hi Jean,

      The records are available at The National Archives (UK).  William Buchan Cameron’s records are also available online to download for 3.36 pounds from this link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D8514146

      He was a Deckhand (when he joined) in the Royal Naval Reserves Trawler Section, Number DA6619

      Which probably means HMS Summerton was a fishing drifter/trawler:

      Admiralty No.2440, BCK.126 Summerton, Tonnage: 83, Built: 1912, Armament: 1 x 3 pounder gun, net and minesweeper, Service: May 1915 to 1919 (Buckie registered drifter/trawler)

      It is unusual for a RNRT to have a cap with ship name on it, as they tended to move around.  Does the photo show the sleeves?

      I can also tell you he was issued with 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal (Reference ADM 171/120).

      If you do get a copy of his service records and have any further questions about it, I may be able to help.

      Regards,

      Wade.