      From: Iain Birnie <i.birnie@...>;
      To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>;
      Subject: Re: [Peterhead] List of Peterhead Whalers who died at sea.
      Sent: Tue, Jan 14, 2014 6:55:17 PM

      I do William but it means a trip to the National Archives in Kew. The BT 98 series of records they hold have the Crew Agreements for the period you are interested in. There is one box per year each with a different number in the series. Every ship registered in Peterhead (including the Whalers) will have a Crew Agreement in one of the (almost) 7000 boxes.

      Here is what I have for James Herd (my ggg grandfather) - the box numbers are in the last column (under source). You'll need a couple of days to scan through each box if you are looking for a named individual and want to make copies (which is really easy at TNA). Best of luck!

      Iain

      Year

      Ship

      Official Number

      Voyage Start

      Voyage End

      Role

      Previous Ship / Source

      1841

      Superior

      n/a

      10/03/1841

      24/07/1841

      Seaman

      ??????? - TNA BT 98 / 147

      1841

      Active

      n/a

      3/6/1841

      Apprentice

      ??? - TNA BT 98 / 140

      1842

      ????

      n/a

      1843

      Mary Gray

      n/a

      15/6/1843

      27/9/1843

      Apprentice

      Mary Gray - TNA BT 98/144

      1844

      Superior

      n/a

      13/01/1844

      20/06/1844

      Seaman

      ??????? - TNA BT 98 / 147 - George Herd listed?????

      1845

      Hannibal

      n/a

      06/03/1845

      14/07/1845

      Boatsteerer

      Superior - TNA BT 98 / 566

      1846

      Enterprise

      19541?

      27/02/1846

      6/08/1846

      Seaman

      Hannibal - TNA BT 98 / 843

      1847

      Enterprise

      19541?

      16/02/1847

      24/07/1847

      Boatsteerer

      Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 1143

      1848

      Enterprise

      19541?

      28/2/1848

      8/7/1848

      Loose Harpooner

      Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 1490

      1849

      Enterprise

      19541?

      26/02/1849

      2/8/1849

      Loose Harpooner

      Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 1814

      1850

      Commerce

      ??

      9/02/1850

      20/08/1850

      Seaman

      Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 2277

      1851

      Hamilton Ross

      ??

      14/2/1851

      10/08/1851

      Harpooner

      Commerce - TNA (Dates are Lerwick dates) BT 98 / 2680

      1852

      Augostina

      19538

      22/2/1852

      21/5/1852

      Fast Harpooner and skeaman

      Commerce (sic) - TNA BT 98 / 3095

      1853

      Augostina

      19538

      7/2/1853

      8/8/1853

      Fast Harpooner and skeaman

      Commerce (sic) - TNA BT 98 / 3519

      1854

      Resolution

      19531

      17/02/1854

      3/8/1854

      Spectioneer

      Augustine - TNA BT 98 / 3931

      1855

      Resolution

      19531

      09/02/1855

      8/5/1855

      Spectioneer

      Resolution - TNA BT 98 / 4273

      1856

      Elena

      24296

      21/02/1856

      13/08/1856

      Spectioneer

      Resolution - TNA BT 98 / 4644

      1857

      Victor

      19540

      12/02/1857

      14/08/1857

      Fast Harpooner and skeaman

      Elena - TNA BT 98 / 4979

      1858

      Perseverance

      19548

      25/02/1858

      30/06/1858

      Spectioneer

      Victor - TNA BT 98 / 5308

      1859

      Augostina

      19538

      20/02/1859

      10/05/1859

      Spectioneer

      Perseverance - TNA BT 98 / 5961

      1859

      Rapid

      19527

      15/05/1859

      27/05/1859

      Able Seaman

      Augustina - TNA BT 98 / 5961

      1859

      James

      19090?

      ???

      31/12/1859

      ???

      ?? - Reference from Augostina - looked at BT 98 / 4976 but no record for the James found

      1860

      Augostina

      19538

      22/02/1860