5948RE: [Peterhead] Re: William Robb & Mary Slessor

  • Mopar Man
    Apr 16, 2013

      John Wallace is my 2nd great grandfather via his son Joseph and his son John.

      From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anne Geddes
      Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:11 PM
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: William Robb & Mary Slessor

      Hi Matthew

      Mary Wallace - the daughter of John Wallace and Mary Slessor married William Kemp in 1873. William Kemp's 1st wife Mary Thomson was my husband's great grand aunt

      Cheers

      Anne (Shanks) Geddes

      From: megolithicmatt <megolithicmatt@...>
      Subject: [Peterhead] Re: William Robb & Mary Slessor
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, 9 April, 2013, 15:59

      Hi Anne,

      Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if there's any relation between Mary Ann Slessor and my Mary Slessor. My first post to this group had too much information in it and it became needlessly complicated.

      All that I am sure of is that I have a William Robb who married a Mary Slessor and that they likely came from somewhere in or around Peterhead. They were married by 1837 - then living in Peterhead - and died before 1861.

      Have you come across a Mary Slessor born on or before 1821 around Peterhead by any chance?

      Thanks,

      Matthew Davidson

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <geddes_anne@...> wrote:

      > Hi Matthew
      >
      > The Mary Ann Slessor you mention born 2nd Oct 1842 was born to Robert Slessor and Ann Davidson. Does this ring any bells with you?
      >
      > I don't seem to have the other people you mention on my family tree - but if you recognise Mary Ann's parents - I will dig a bit deeper
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Anne (Shanks) Geddes
      >
      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "megolithicmatt" <megolithicmatt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I wonder if someone can help shed some light on these two people whom I believe were born in or around Peterhead. Their son, William (b. 30th April 1837 Peterhead, d. 27th August 1906 Aberdeen), my 3rd G-Grandfather, married Margaret Ann Grant on the 25th May 1861 in Aberdeen. He was a comb maker. Both of his parents were listed as deceased in the marriage certificate. I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
      > >
      > > I have possible death dates - 26th December 1857 at St Catherine's, Peterhead for William Snr aged 55, and 15th April 1848 at Kirkton, Peterhead for Mary age 48. Given the popularity of the name William Robb in Peterhead about that time I'm not relying on this, and the Slessor certificate didn't mention the name Robb.
      > >
      > > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

      > > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
      > > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
      > > before William Robb and David Craig"
      > > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
      > >
      > > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Matthew Davidson

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic