5813Re: FW: Captains Murray of Peterhead, Dangerous Work and Arthur Conan Doyle

  • Colin Murray
    Nov 27, 2012
      Thanks for flagging the publication up Ian, Its a book that I had hoped would be published sometime so got straight on the net and ordered it, my copy has just turned up so something for the dark evenings.
      Just plowing my way through the newspapers that have been released through the findmypast.co.uk site, and as you would expect it is time consuming and a little frustrating. Have found the entry for the death / obituary of Captain Alex. Murray (1828-1894) from the Aberdeen Journal dated Wednesday 01 August 1894 but frustratingly it appears to be cross referenced to the wrong page so all I have so far is the precis from the search engine:
      Captain Alexander Murray was a, native of Peterhead, and entered his profession at the age of twelve years, serving hia apprenticeship on board the Reliance. After a service of eight years in thc Southern seas, young Murray in 1860 became one of..........

      I've downloaded the whole paper so its just a case of trawling through the fine print now.

      Colin
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic