5810Re: [Peterhead] Re: FW: Captains Murray of Peterhead, Dangerous Work and Arthur Conan Doyle

  • rossduncanscot
    Nov 25, 2012

      Sent from Samsung Mobile

      IAN <Vanitha.Davidson@...> wrote:

      I've just bought the recently published book "Dangerous Work - Diary of an Arctic Adventure". The book has a complete facsimile copy (around 200 pages) of Arthur Conan Doyle's diary during his time as ship's Doctor on the SS Hope, voyaging to the Arctic in the summer of 1880. The book also contains a complete printed transcript of the diary together with extensive notes, some photos, etc. It is also fully indexed.

      "A tremendously exciting book" is the strap line on the back, and for those with an interest in Peterhead whaling the comment is well justified. The diary has been out of sight until now but family members have made it available for publication.

      I've only just started browsing through the book. There are quite a few references to other whaling ships and whalers. For example, in Shetland Doyle encounters Captain Murray of the Windward, assesses him as a decent fellow, invites him to dinner. On the same day he observes the arrival of the Jan Mayen in Lerwick [on which my GG Grandfather Russell Watt was Fireman - he was a Boatsteerer on the Hope in 1873 and 1874].

      I'm off to read the rest of the book now!

      Ian Davidson

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Colin Murray <colin.d.a.murray@...> wrote:

      > Hi Andrew,
      >
      > Excellent to see you pop up on here, one of my missing family links, and
      > a relation discovered!
      > I'm currently on holiday in Cyprus but I shall e-mail you direct when I get
      > back at the end of next week, and I should be able to fill you in with most
      > things that you are looking for.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Colin Murray
      >
      > On 23 July 2011 17:34, Wade Buchan <wsb@...> wrote: