Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

5605Re: BROWN, REID & SHAND families of Peterhead (William SHAND)

Expand Messages
  • Jonny
    Jul 3, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Thank you very much for posting this Alison. I assume the inquest brought up further details regarding his state of mind leading to the verdict of supposed suicide.

      William's younger brother Thomas Shand (1821-1895), my ancestor who left Scotland for England in 1851-1854, worked in the Surrey Docks as a shipwright. His death also led to an inquest, but unfortunately the inquest papers do not survive and it does not appear to have been reported in the press. Probably there were many accidents and deaths in the docks it did not warrant attention.

      His 1895 death certificate however records that the cause of death was due to a 'violent fractured skull and other injuries caused by falling down the hatchway between decks of the SS Birkhall, but how he arrived to fall the evidence fails to prove'. It sounds as if he may have been pushed, but of course we will never know.

      Their father William Shand (c1795/6-1841/51), whose baptism and burial have not turned up, was of Cruden at his marriage to Jean Lawrence in June 1814 at Peterhead and he is stated to have been a farmer.

      However by the 1841 census he was an agricultural labourer in Peterhead. Are farmer and agricultural labourer interchangeable words? Farmer to me sounds like he could have had his own farm, but the latter shows he was an employee. I just wonder if he could have had his own farm in Cruden but something went wrong and he had to leave for work in Peterhead.

      It is known he was still in Cruden in 1832 as his youngest known child George was baptised there, but nine years later he had moved. I just wonder why he might have done so.

      Kind regards,

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:
      > Hi there
      > The following is the newspaper article concerning William Shand's death taken from the East Aberdeenshire Observer, dated Friday, April 11, 1879:
      > DEATH
      > BY DROWNING â€" On Saturday evening, the body of a man was seen floating in the
      > river Ugie, about 150 yards above Inverugie old bridge, and nearly opposite the
      > house of Balmoor.  Its downward course
      > was prevented by the points of some rock which was barely covered by the water.  Information of the circumstance was brought
      > to town and Serjeant Morrison with the assistance of others repaired to the
      > spot.  After much difficulty they
      > succeeded in getting at the body, which was about twenty feet from the bank,
      > and in 8 feet of water.  A ladder was
      > procured and pushed out to the rock, upon which one of the men, Francis
      > Cumming crawled out, but it gave way in the middle and he was precipitated
      > into the river.  Being an excellent
      > swimmer however, he succeeded in keeping himself afloat, and tied a rope to the
      > body which was dragged ashore; and then Cumming swam to the bank.  The body was identified as that of William
      > Shand, house proprietor, Constitution Street, who left his home during that
      > morning for the purpose of a walk, as he had not been in good health for some
      > time.  He did not return at the usual time,
      > and much anxiety was felt regarding him until the discovery of the body in the
      > river.  Mr Shand was long in the
      > employment of Mr Henderson, who had charge of works under the Corporation.
      > Hope this helps.
      > Alison
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic