5595Re: ISABELLA BROWN/SHAND/NICOL 1840-1882

  • Jonny
    Jun 26, 2011
      Hi Mary,

      Thanks for your reply to my post.

      Isabella Brown/Shand/Nicol in fact married into the Nicol family of Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, so the link to your Matthew Nicol is perhaps unlikely.

      Her baptism entry in Peterhead reads:

      'Elizabeth Brown, an un-married woman, lately in Fraserburgh, broght forth a child 20 May 1840 which was bap. named Isabella before James and Alexander Brown 3 June 1840'

      However the ancestry.com transcription of the 1841 census gives her name as Isabella Allan. I am not sure if this is a transcription error, or if perhaps her birth father had the surname Allan.

      She moved to the London area with her mother Elizabeth Brown/Shand and stepfather Thomas Shand, whose name she took following their marriage in 1844, between 1851 and 1854.

      There in Hampstead, Middlesex (now London), on 25 April 1867, she married William Nicol, a ship carpenter/shipwright.

      William was born in 1837 in Old Machar to James Nicol (1800-1886) and Margaret Proctor.

      William and Isabella Nicol had five children, with the second daughter Frances Harriet being born in Old Machar in 1879, so for a time the family moved to and lived in Scotland.

      However after the birth they returned to the London area where Isabella Nicol died in 1882 of Phthisis.

      As her husband went away to sea, after her death her five children were separated between family members in Old Machar and London, so they did not grow up together.

      So I don't know if the Old Machar Nicols could be related to the Peterhead Nicols, but this is how she came to marry into A Nicol family.

      Kind regards,
      Jon

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

      > Hello Jon,
      >
      > One of the people you mention in your email, Isabella Brown/Shand/Nicol,
      > has awakened my curiosity. I have been researching the family of Matthew
      > Nicol (1811-1877), seaman and shipmaster of Peterhead, and I am wondering
      > where the Nicol in Isabella's name came from, and whether she might be related.
      >

      > From your email, it looks as though she was the daughter of Elizabeth Brown
      > and Thomas Shand, so I am guessing that she married a Nicol. I have extensive
      > information about Matthew Nicol's family, but I also know that there were
      > other, unrelated Nicols in Peterhead at the time. I have a number of Isabellas
      > who married into the Nicol family, but none fit the dates you give. Can you
      > supply any further details?
      >
      > Mary Barnes
      >

      > >ELIZABETH BROWN who married THOMAS SHAND of Cruden in Peterhead in 1844.
      > >However I can't find a baptism for her but the census indicates she was
      > born
      > >in Peterhead about 1818-1821.
      > >
      > >Given Alexander and Isabella's ages it would seem probable they had elder
      > >children but I guess this could have taken place in Fraserburgh or Strichen.
      > >Isabella could even have perhaps been married before.
      > >
      > >I know from the 1840 baptism of their illegitimate granddaughter (ISABELLA
      > >BROWN/SHAND/NICOL 1840-1882, daughter of the above Elizabeth Brown before
      > >her 1844 marriage), that their daughter had come from Fraserburgh prior
      > >the baptism, so perhaps she was sent off to Alexander's family there for
      > >her pregnancy.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic