5383Re: Captains Murray of Peterhead

  • c
    Jan 8, 2011
      Thanks, Iain!

      I'd absolutely love to visit the libraries in Dundee, but alas I'm on the other side of the globe for the time being (although I have great memories of spending a couple of months in Scotland in the 1980s!) One day, though, I hope!

      I'm very much interested in trying to nail down a list of whaling and trading voyages from Scotland into Hudson Bay during the late 1890s and early 1900s, and specifically trying to find the whereabouts of any logs and/or crewlists of the Ernest William, and Active between 1900-1912 or so.

      I found these references in a 1977 bibliography, for instance:

      Active I90I-02 [Logbook of the Southampton Island Whaling Station.] Dundee: Museums and Art Galleries Department .

      Active 1902 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557).

      Ernest, William 1902-10 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (79483).

      My questions:
      How do you interpret "Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557)" for instance?

      Does any of this exist on microfilm (or better, digitally) do you suppose?

      I also understand the gov't of Newfoundland has many records of Scottish voyages. Do you know anything about this?

      Where are you / have you looked for the crewlist of the "Victor"?

      What's the web address for British Library's Dundee Courier holdings you mention?

      Thanks again!