5382Re: Captains Murray of Peterhead

  • c
    Jan 8, 2011
      Thanks, Colin!

      My interest is centered around George Cleveland, who worked for the Robert Kinnes company of Dundee with the Murray brothers of Peterhead from about 1903 until 1910. Cleveland captained the "Ernest William" after John Murray and under their management, and traveled with them to and from Dundee on the "Active". (Cleveland had been abandoned by his previous employers and was living with the Inuit near Repulse Bay until John Murray found him.) In trying to tell Cleveland's story, I need to learn more about the Murray brothers and their background. (See some of what I have at http://www.oldtimeislands.org/Cleveland )

      I'd especially love to learn more about the "Ernest William" and also about the Robert Kinnes company of Dundee and the "Active" if you have any leads. I understand there may exist a logbook to the Ernest William.

      I'd also like to be able to put together at least a capsule biography of Capt. Alexander Murray Sr. Has anyone been able to figure out his role in the search for the lost Franklin expedition, for instance?

      Thanks again-
      Chris

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Murray" <colin.d.a.murray@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris
      >
      > Yup thats the correct website address and to get the best value for money you need to sit down for a few evenings with maybe a weeks pass and get stuck in with different search terms, obviously a mix of Peterhead, whalers, whaling, Murray etc etc should bring up what you need. I have 244 PDF's downloaded with at least 24 directly concerned with my Murrays, you will probably find more as I was suffering with a deathly slow internet connection in Oman when I did it. I started some time ago to database them but have only managed to do a few (not pressure of work but just time consuming). I've sent an example to you by e-mail.
      >
      > Can I ask the reason for the in-depth research? a book would be nice and it would take the pressure off my brother who has alloted him self the task of collating everything I have.
      >
      > Colin

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic