5379Re: Captains Murray of Peterhead

  • c
    Jan 7, 2011
      Thank you Colin, Wade, Alex, and Marion for all these great pieces, resources, and connections!

      I can add a few more likely references to Capt. Alexander Murray Sr.:

      c.1878 Windward - Capt. Murray
      1879 - Windward - Peterhead - Master: Alexander Murray - to Greenland
      1880 - Windward - Peterhead - Master: Alexander Murray - to Greenland
      1880-81 Lloyd's - screw bark Windward of Peterhead, owner: Baxter
      1882 book: reference to a Captain Murray of Peterhead who wintered in the arctic 11 or 12 times, lived on seal meat
      1882 - Windward - Peterhead - Master: Alexander Murray - to Greenland
      1882 - Captains listed in Arctic Whalers, by Basil Lubbock: MURRAY - WINDWARD - PETERHEAD - 1882
      1883 - Windward - Peterhead - Master: Alexander Murray - to Greenland
      1884 - Windward - Peterhead - Master: Alexander Murray - to Greenland

      1884: whaler Windward sailed from Peterhead, Captain Murray
      1885- Perseverance - Peterhead - Master: Alexander Murray - to Davis Strait
      Sep 1886 - Perseverance - Capt. Murray - absent 14 months in Davis Strait - arrived in Peterhead
      January & March, 1887- Brig Lord Saltoun of Peterhead, Alexander Murray, Master. - wintered at Niantilic Harbour

      A couple of questions:
      * Was a register ever published of whaling vessels leaving from and returning to Peterhead (or Dundee) and their catch, etc.?
      * Is there a good directory of surviving logs and crewlists? (I'm especially interested in the logs of the Active and Ernest William in the early 1900s)
      * Is the Scotsman archive you refer to http://archive.scotsman.com/ ?
      * Do we know anything about Alexander's parents, wife, or other children?

      Thanks again for all the great information, especially a couple of those books I'd never heard of. I'll see what I can drum up on Alexander Jr. and John.

      Chris
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic