5225RE: [Peterhead] Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Feb 9, 2010
      Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
      grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
      slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
      owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
      it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
      when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
      Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

      The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
      quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
      that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
      front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
      widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
      stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
      lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

      Best wishes for your study,
      Elisabeth

      Elisabeth Wilson
      Lenah Valley, Tasmania
      SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
      (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic