5216Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • scotnel4
    Feb 8, 2010
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

      > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
      >
      > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
      >
      > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
      >
      > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
      >
      > Many thanks to all in advance.
      >
      > Alison

      Hello Alison,

      I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but I have never been able to find the death of a George Simpson Murray of Peterhead. He was a seaman and I assume whaler.

      His wife had a child in 1866 so I have to assume he died 1865/1866.

      Regards,
      Annette
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic