4903Re: [Peterhead] Re: Lairs question

  • marysb@iprimus.com.au
    Sep 11, 2008
      On the question of lairs and gravestones, it seems that the lair records
      are more reliable than monumental inscriptions. Not only was the erection
      or otherwise of a gravestone up to the family (and possibly affected by their
      financial circumstances) but the names recorded on the gravestone do not
      necessarily represent people buried there. I know of several cases among
      my own ancestors where a monument was erected in memory of one or two people,
      and then later the names of others who died elsewhere, for example in England,
      were added to the stone.

      Mary

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...