4452Re: The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • nz.scot
    Jul 18, 2007
      Thanks Margie. In my ancestors instance, I'm sure it was NOT a T-
      Name. He was born and christened in Peterhead as "Cow CORDINER" and
      was married and died as "Cow CORDINER" in Aberdeen. No other names
      appear on any of these certificates. I can trace most of my
      relatives back to the Boddam, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, and more
      recently Aberdeen areas of Scotland. The name appears seven times as
      a "stand alone firstname". My wifes ancestors seem to have lived
      within a 30 mile radius of Aberdeen and two of them also have
      the "Cow" firstname.

      Cheers
      Ken

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON
      <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

      > In Peterhead it was certainly used as a T name - not sure if it was
      the same in all cases but in the one I knew his middle name was used
      instead of his first name. I can't even remember his first name as he
      was always known as Cow Noble.