4451Re: [Peterhead] The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Jul 18, 2007
      Ken Hi,

      My surname before marriage was Cowe however it had originally been Cow as my grandfather was born Cow and married Cowe through a mistake by the registrar.
      In my own family tree I have Cowe and Cow going back as far as early 1800.

      All were fishermen and movement was minimal from Drumlinie and Corskelly to Burnhaven, Buchanhaven and Peterhead.

      On my maternal side my grandfather was John Cow Strachan, named after a Jock Cow who had been in partnership with my gt grandfather in some of the boats and was well respected. I think he went to Canada,

      Margie