3739Re: Introducing myself & my Peterhead forebears.

  • Hester NicEilidh
    Feb 11, 2006
      Hi, Catherine:

      No, I didn't have that info. Thanks, it helps give me a better
      picture of the family.

      BTW, what was the original source for this information? Do you know
      in which church the baptisms took place? (Or was there only one
      church in town at that time?)

      Thanks, Hester

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@...> wrote:

      > Hi Hester,
      > I've been looking for more info than this for you but Ancestry
      does'nt have it.
      > You might already have this.
      >
      > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
      > a dau Elizabeth born 2-2-1852 bap 10-2-1852
      > before John Milne and James Davie
      >
      > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
      > a son James born 20-7-1849 bap 6-8-1849
      > before John Milne and James Davie
      >
      > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
      > a dau Jean born 24-2-1854 bap 28-2-1854
      > before John Milne and William Thomson
      >
      > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
      > a dau Mary born 10-10-1847 bap 11-10-1847
      > before Alexander Shivas and John Milne
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Catherine

      Their
      > names were Alexander Forbes and Elizabeth Ann Imlah. When they
      > emigrated, they were already married, with 3 children.
      Alexander
      > left for Canada first, to find work, then sent for Elizabeth and
      the
      > children to follow. They later had 11 more children here in
      Canada.

      > Using the General Register Office of Scotland's on-line
      database, I
      > found their marriage certificate. At the time of their marriage
      in
      > 1884, he was a cooper living at 18E St. Peter St and she was a
      mill
      > worker living at 1 Constitution St.
      >
      > However, when I visited Peterhead last year, I was disappointed
      > find that both residences had been knocked down, in the former
      case
      > replaced by now apparently derelict apartments, and in the
      latter
      > case replaced by a modern shop.
      >
      > Tracing further back using GROS, I discovered that Alexander
      Forbes'
      > parents had lived slightly inland, in the Kirkton of Logie
      Buchan.

      > Elizabeth Imlah's family were Peterhead residents, though. Her
      > parents, Mary-Anne Milne and John Imlah, lived on Kirk Street.
      They
      > were born in 1848 & 1847 respectively. He was a carter in 1865,
      but
      > had changed his occupation to seaman by 1869.
      >
      > From their marriage certificate, I learned that Mary-Anne
      Milne's
      > parents were named Elizabeth Walker and James Milne (a sawyer),
      and
      > that John Imlah's parents were Mary-Ann Burd and James Imlay
      (note
      > spelling difference). I have no birth dates or birth places yet
      for
      > this generation, but I did find that James Imlay was a slater by
      > trade and had died by 1869.
      >
      > When I visited Peterhead, I looked for the graves for these
      > forebears, but without success. Unfortunately, I was on a very
      > tight schedule and only had time to search one churchyard, that
      of
      > the now derelict church beside the woolen mills. In future, I
      will
      > check the ANESFSH lists first.
      >
      > Looking forward to learning more about genealogical research
      methods
      > from all of you, and to hearing from any group members who may
      share
      > some of my ancestors. I'm also interested in information about
      > daily life and culture in Peterhead in the 19th century and
      earlier.

      > Cheers, Hester

      > To unsubscribe send a messaged to: Peterhead-
      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      home insurance company American family home owner insurance
      > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale
      Family home finance

      of Service.

      2/4/2006