342Re: John Leslie

    Feb 17, 1999
      Hi William,

      Welcome to the newsgroup.

      leslie@... wrote:

      > In your Death Index, Reference Number 23.2, you show data on my great great grandfather James Leslie, his first son, James Ref No. 64, his second son was my great grandfather William Leslie, and his daughter Elizabeth Ann, is Ref No.8. I have documentation from the GRO for James and William, but I can find nothing for my ggg grandfather, James' father. Do you have any idea where to look?

      Peterhead Deaths:
      No.23 part 2, James Leslie labourer (married), 21/12/1857 4h 30m pm
      Blackhill, male 30 years, parents: John Leslie labourer, mother not
      given, cause: unknown no medical attendant, buried Longside, Alexander
      Fraser undertaker, informant: Elizabeth Simpson, her X mark,
      mother-in-law (present).

      No.64, James Leslie, single, 18/4/1863 5h 40m pm, Blackhills, male, 4
      years, parents: James Leslie, labourer (dead) and Elizabeth Leslie ms
      Simpson, cause: croup no medical attendant, informant: Elizabeth Leslie
      her x mark mother (present).

      No.8, Elizabeth Ann Leslie (single), 8/1/1881 between 11h & 6h am at 31a
      Backgate, female, 3 months, parents: William Leslie, cooper (journeyman)
      and Ann Leslie ms Fowlie, cause: sudden death child was found dead in
      bed, informant: William Leslie, father.

      It would seem that James Leslie might be from Longside, possibly buried
      in a family plot. I didn't find him in Peterhead 1851 census with wife
      Elizabeth.

      Young James Leslie is interesting, I would assume his age is closer to 5
      years old.

      You have Elizabeth Simpson's parents as William Simpson and Elizabeth
      Bowman, had did you obtain this information? I have both William's and
      Elizabeth Bowman's death certificates and have them in the 1851 census.