Re: Mombasa golden starburst tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus) (Part 2)

  • BertW
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012
      Thanks Dana for posting and sharing. Indeed, the Pterinochilus murinus or Usambara Starburst baboon tarantulas are awesome - old world, African, aggressive (99% of the time - 1% of the time they MIGHT let you hold them), super webbers and kept super dry. I have had a couple of them befire, but do not have one at present. They are a must-own for the experienced keepers, but everyone has to have a first-baboon. :-) O.K., maybe not everyone. You made some excellent points about the dry conditions - they are kept in very dry conditions as this must be their natural habitat. They will give you a threat display and wiggle their fangs - just to let you know they don't cuddle. They are beautiful (mine have always been orange, but I understand there are some yellow ones too)and fast. I had a juvenile in a quart jar, opened the lid and it was out of the jar and up and on my arm before I knew it. They are escape artists too - I had one escape and found it two days later in my wife's underwear drawer - all webbed in and cozy. Mu wife will not let me forget that - she is nice enough to let me keep tarantulas. Awesome species. Thanks again for joining and sharing - and I look to check out your blog too.

      Best regards,

      Bert Wright
      Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

      --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Dana" <danagoodyear@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Ebeling, Jr., Herman F." <hfebelingjr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > At this time I do not know how old the T is, or how long they've
      > > had it or it's gender. The last time I was there a couple of weeks ago
      > > they had a G. rosea and an A. avicularia. The G. rosea is gone and they
      > > still have or have another A. avicularia as it is very small again I
      > > don't know the age of it.
      > >
      > > It is smaller then my current A. avicularia, so I am presuming that
      > > even though some have kept them in a communal setup that it would not be
      > > advised to keep two different aged A. avicularia's in the same tank.
      > >
      > > For the starburst is $43.00 a good deal? I will be able to go back
      > > to the store tomorrow (later today) to ask them the questions.
      > > --
      > > Herman
      > > 1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
      > > 0.0.1 2005 Specialized Hardrock MTB
      > > <http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/Digital_Cowboy/Picture003.jpg>
      > > 0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
      > > 1.2.0 Swordtail
      > > 0.0.3 Neon Tetras
      > > 1.0.0 Red Betta
      > > 0.0.3 Zebra's
      > > 2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
      > > 0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
      > > 0.0.1 G. rosea (Kirk)
      > > <http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/Digital_Cowboy/Critters/Tarantula/Kirk/HPIM0600.jpg>
      > > 0.0.1 A. avicularia (Pinkie)
      > > <http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/Digital_Cowboy/Critters/Tarantula/Avicularia%20avicularia%20Pinkie/IMAG0039.jpg>
      > > 0.1.0 Orange Tabby (Little One)
      > > 0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
      > > Cyclists Against Carlos Bertonatti
      > > <http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_427253770011&ap=1>
      > > My Facebook Page <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1088760550>
      > > Revolution Bikes <http://revolutionbikes.com/> Tour de Pizza on Facebook
      > > <http://www.facebook.com/tourdepizzafan> Tour de Pizza
      > > <http://www.tourdepizza.com/>
      > >
      > > Live Long and Prosper*
      > > /____ ||-
      > >
      > > The fish are spread out between several tanks.

    • Dana Goodyear
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012