Re: forgotten my password...

  • BertW
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      Patrick:

      Thanks for your post - I hope that you have the matter with your password and all now figured out. Congratulations on your new purchase of the Brachypelma smithi Mexican Redknee tarantula. Ken is an excellent dealer and resource of arachnids and feeder roaches (as I recall). The Mexican Red Knee is an excellent Pet Species and they are one of the longer-lived species of tarantula with some living upwards of 30 years plus (females that is). I have four of them (male and female)- they (or at least some of them) can be a bit skittish - less so if you give them more attention (it seems). Good Luck Patrick and thanks again for your post.

      Bert Wright
      Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

    • PhilM4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2012
        The other day, I went to a local PetCo to buy crickets for my many spiders, and I realized that my first T, a Grammostola rosea, came from that very store seven years ago this December. At the time, I knew little of tarantulas, and when this T escaped on her first night in my house, I was fortunate enough to find her hiding docilely under a sofa. Still a novice tarantula keeper, I took a towel, covered the spider, and picked it up gently, waiting for the inevitable bite, which, I hoped, the towel would mitigate.

        Of course, no such bite came, and the gentle spider is still with me. She has not since escaped. (The first time came when a cat knocked over the plastic tank she was in, but the cats are no longer allowed in the spider room.) She also has been joined by eight other T's, ranging from an
        Aphonopelma seemani to Brachypelma boehmi and even a seldom-seen Pterinochilus murinus. With the exception of the Chilean rose and the Costa Rican Zebra, I've raised all my T's from slings, and I've been quite lucky in that I seem to be averaging about 2/3 female to male, a ratio I have judged not by sexing the molts but by seeing how long they live.

        I share these facts and stories because being at the pet store and realizing how long I'd had a T from that very store led me to think about other T firsts. There was the first time I ordered T's through the mail (from Kelly Swift). The idea of receiving something alive and through the mail was rather novel. I kind of miss all those firsts. There was my first
        Haplopelma lividum, which I handled for quite some time before I read up on it and realized that I really shouldn't be handling it. (In fairness, my "handling" was pretty much limited to pushing its rump to move it to a new home as it grew.) I suppose there is one first that I am pleased not to have encountered: my first bite. Probably that's because I didn't get tarantulas to handle them and never thought of them as pets in the same sense as cats or dogs.

        Does anyone here have any good stories of firsts to relate?

        Phil in California

      • BertW
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
          Thanks for sharing your experiences, Phil. It sounds as though you have amassed quite a collection of some really nice tarantulas. Please continue to share stories and post pictures on this site.