Good News!

  • 501st CloneTrooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2010
      Finally after 9 months my Lasiodora parahybana:
      Brazilian salmon pink tarantula ate some food! A small mouse is now in the grasp and nurishing my Big T.
      The rest of my Tarantulas are eating as well, the Grammostola pulchra:Brazilian Black seems to always be hungry and is looking more like a tick. New substrate is ready for later today if I have time.
      Happy Thanksgiving Tarantula keepers!

      Patrick
    • BertW
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
        Patrick:
        Thanks for your post and Thanksgiving well wishes.

        That is great news to hear your Lasiodora Parhybana or Brazilian Salmon Pink tarantula - I have two and neither are eating at present. Question: Did you offer a 'thawed' pinky or fuzzy or was this live food? I have bought them either way (fuzzies and pinkies) but curious as to what you fed your Brazilian Salmon Pink (thawed or live). I have also heard of a tarantula eating beefheart, but my T's wouldn't have anything to do with it (tried it on my Brachypelma albopilosum Honduran Curly Hair tarantulas).

        Now, I am presently up in Washington State and we've had snow already - and, as a consequence, my tarantulas (with exception to some spiderlings and subadults), have all but ceased eating. Still, I offer crickets, mostly to find them still crawling about a day or so later - uneaten, at which time I will remove them. I attribute it (The lack of appetite) to the winter weather here in the Great White Northwest, but not to fret as tarantulas are known to go extremely long periods without eating.

        Also, it is my observation that the male tarantula seems to eat less and definitely less often than their female counterparts - I really don't have scientific data to back this up, but it is my general observation that males eat LESS and LESS often than their female counterparts.

        Thanks again for sharing Patrick.

        Bert Wright
        Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

        --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "501st CloneTrooper" <devoe2485@...> wrote:

        > Finally after 9 months my Lasiodora parahybana:
        > Brazilian salmon pink tarantula ate some food! A small mouse is now in the grasp and nurishing my Big T.
        > The rest of my Tarantulas are eating as well, the Grammostola pulchra:Brazilian Black seems to always be hungry and is looking more like a tick. New substrate is ready for later today if I have time.
        > Happy Thanksgiving Tarantula keepers!
        >
        > Patrick

      • 501st CloneTrooper
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
          I feed her a live fuzzy mouse, it was fun to watch. My other Tarantulas had crickets. The Great White Northwest, yeah its 17* here in the Carolinas and my son in Syracuse New York, has over 2 ft of snow. Winter is great, I look forward to going to Syracuse for a visit.

          Patrick