Discovery Channel

  • Patrick DeVoe
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2009
      For the past 2 nights there have been shows about Tarantulas.
      Spider-Man Tec which has showen the possibles of strengh with spiders and Tarantulas. Last night was a very exciting show called Tarantulas,
      from breeding to milking the venom for cures and how many people collect Tarantulas to the scientist who study and name the species.
      Very good information, almost everyone had a fear of spiders like myself, and over came there fears by collecting Tarantulas.The down side was there are still many who capture wild Tarantulas and wipeout colonies with no care of the species. So buy from Breeders Only!
      Check out the show on Discovery Channel.
      Patrick D.
    • Bert
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2009
        Thanks for the post Patrick. I guess I missed it (the tarantula and spider shows on Discovery). Between people eating them and others harvesting them from the wild, their numbers are sure to diminish. And, one has to wonder what impact that is going to have (from the tarantulas not being there to eat that fuzzy rat, munch that bat, or whatever their impact is to THEIR environment). I was surprised to learn that it is illegal to keep tarantulas in Brazil- and there are plenty of tarantulas in Brazil, so there is 'some' effort to protect these animals. I'm no environmentalist, but I do believe certain species of tarantula (and certain other animals) need protected. Thanks Patrick.

        Bert Wright
        Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast