newbie

  • tn_jed7
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2008
      Im glad to join, I am looking into getting a tarantula but but I want
      to make sure I do this right. I have a 15 gallon fish tank I want to
      use, first is this a good home for a tarantula or is that to much room.
      Thanks in advance for the help
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2008
        --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@...> wrote:

        > Im glad to join, I am looking into getting a tarantula but but I want
        > to make sure I do this right. I have a 15 gallon fish tank I want to
        > use, first is this a good home for a tarantula or is that to much room.
        > Thanks in advance for the help

        What kind of tarantula is it? 15-gal is WAY too big. An average-sized adult tarantula, like a
        Chilean rose hair, should live just fine a large Kritter Keeper. Anything else you want to
        know?
      • tn_jed7
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 26, 2008
          --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"
          <robertcrabtree3000@...> wrote:

          > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Im glad to join, I am looking into getting a tarantula but but I
          want
          > > to make sure I do this right. I have a 15 gallon fish tank I want
          > > use, first is this a good home for a tarantula or is that to much
          room.
          > > Thanks in advance for the help
          > >

          > What kind of tarantula is it? 15-gal is WAY too big. An average-
          sized adult tarantula, like a
          > Chilean rose hair, should live just fine a large Kritter Keeper.
          Anything else you want to
          > know?
          Nothing yet, but I know I'll think of something soon. thanks for the
          input.

        • Bert
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
            --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"
            > <robertcrabtree3000@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@>
            wrote:

            > > > Im glad to join, I am looking into getting a tarantula but but
            > want
            > > > to make sure I do this right. I have a 15 gallon fish tank I
            want
            > > > use, first is this a good home for a tarantula or is that to
            much
            > room.
            > > > Thanks in advance for the help
            > > >

            > > What kind of tarantula is it? 15-gal is WAY too big. An average-
            > sized adult tarantula, like a
            > > Chilean rose hair, should live just fine a large Kritter Keeper.
            > Anything else you want to
            > > know?
            > Nothing yet, but I know I'll think of something soon. thanks for
            the
            > input.

            Responders - anyone responding or sending to greoup Posts, please
            put your name either before or after your input. Thanks.

            A 15 Gallon aquarium is big for a tarantula, but I have used them
            before - put it on its side and it is ideal for arboreal tarantulas
            such as the Avicularia avicularia Guyana Pink toe tarantula. But,
            the first responder's makes a valid point in the size as some
            species may climb too high and possibly fall - the kritter keepers
            are of ideal height. Generally, they won't fall, but they can, and
            it IS something to bear in mind. If you do decide to use it, use
            three or four inches of substrate such as the compressed coconut
            fiber or even 100% organic sphagnum Peat packed down super tight.
            Use a cover that is either screened or vented. The other
            disadvantage of the 15 gallon is that it 'may' be too big for some
            to catch prey. Tarantulas seldom venture far from their burrow, so
            they don't necessarily require a lot of room.
            Hopefully this information helps.

            Bert Wright
            Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast
          • tn_jed7
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
              --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Bert" <Bert.H.Wright@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"
              > > <robertcrabtree3000@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@>

              > > want
              > want
              > much
              > > room.
              > > > >

              > > > What kind of tarantula is it? 15-gal is WAY too big. An average-
              > > sized adult tarantula, like a
              > > > Chilean rose hair, should live just fine a large Kritter
              Keeper.
              > > Anything else you want to
              > > > know?
              > > Nothing yet, but I know I'll think of something soon. thanks for
              > the
              > > input.
              > > >

              > Responders - anyone responding or sending to greoup Posts, please
              > put your name either before or after your input. Thanks.
              >
              > A 15 Gallon aquarium is big for a tarantula, but I have used them
              > before - put it on its side and it is ideal for arboreal tarantulas
              > such as the Avicularia avicularia Guyana Pink toe tarantula. But,
              > the first responder's makes a valid point in the size as some
              > species may climb too high and possibly fall - the kritter keepers
              > are of ideal height. Generally, they won't fall, but they can, and
              > it IS something to bear in mind. If you do decide to use it, use
              > three or four inches of substrate such as the compressed coconut
              > fiber or even 100% organic sphagnum Peat packed down super tight.
              > Use a cover that is either screened or vented. The other
              > disadvantage of the 15 gallon is that it 'may' be too big for some
              > to catch prey. Tarantulas seldom venture far from their burrow, so
              > they don't necessarily require a lot of room.
              > Hopefully this information helps.
              >
              > Bert Wright
              > Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

              Thanks for the information but that brings up a question about how
              much room does a adult tarantula need. I assumed they might need
              plenty of room but you mentioned that it might be to big to catch
              their prey and I would not want that. thanks again
            • Patrick DeVoe
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
                --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@...> wrote:

                > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Bert" <Bert.H.Wright@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@>
                wrote:

                > > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"

                > but
                > > > want
                > > want
                > > much
                > > > room.

                > > > sized adult tarantula, like a
                > Keeper.
                > > > Anything else you want to
                > > > Nothing yet, but I know I'll think of something soon. thanks
                for
                > > the
                > > > input.
                > > > >

                > > Responders - anyone responding or sending to greoup Posts,
                please
                > > put your name either before or after your input. Thanks.
                > >
                > > A 15 Gallon aquarium is big for a tarantula, but I have used
                them
                > > before - put it on its side and it is ideal for arboreal
                tarantulas
                > > such as the Avicularia avicularia Guyana Pink toe tarantula.
                But,
                > > the first responder's makes a valid point in the size as some
                > > species may climb too high and possibly fall - the kritter
                keepers
                > > are of ideal height. Generally, they won't fall, but they can,
                and
                > > it IS something to bear in mind. If you do decide to use it,
                use
                > > three or four inches of substrate such as the compressed coconut
                > > fiber or even 100% organic sphagnum Peat packed down super
                tight.
                > > Use a cover that is either screened or vented. The other
                > > disadvantage of the 15 gallon is that it 'may' be too big for
                some
                > > to catch prey. Tarantulas seldom venture far from their burrow,
                so
                > > they don't necessarily require a lot of room.
                > > Hopefully this information helps.
                > >
                > > Bert Wright
                > > Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast
                > >
                > Thanks for the information but that brings up a question about how
                > much room does a adult tarantula need. I assumed they might need
                > plenty of room but you mentioned that it might be to big to catch
                > their prey and I would not want that. thanks again

                Its not really the room we are concerened with it is the hight.
                Tarantulas will walk the glass and if they happen to fall it could
                harm the Tarantula. If you intend to buy a ground dwelling species
                a fall from just a few feet off the ground could kill it.
                Remember Tarantulas do roam in there natural habitat so room is
                ok. Also use a shallow water dish no sponges cause that causes
                bacteral to grow. Good luck and let us know what type of Tarantula
                you bought so we can assit you.
                Patrick DeVoe
              • tn_jed7
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
                  --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick DeVoe"
                  <devoe2485@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Bert" <Bert.H.Wright@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "tn_jed7" <TN_Jed7@>

                  > > but
                  > > > want
                  > > > much

                  > average-
                  > > Keeper.
                  > for
                  > > > the
                  > > > > >

                  > > > Responders - anyone responding or sending to greoup Posts,
                  > please
                  > > > put your name either before or after your input. Thanks.
                  > > >
                  > > > A 15 Gallon aquarium is big for a tarantula, but I have used
                  > them
                  > > > before - put it on its side and it is ideal for arboreal
                  > tarantulas
                  > > > such as the Avicularia avicularia Guyana Pink toe tarantula.
                  > But,
                  > > > the first responder's makes a valid point in the size as some
                  > > > species may climb too high and possibly fall - the kritter
                  > keepers
                  > > > are of ideal height. Generally, they won't fall, but they can,
                  > and
                  > > > it IS something to bear in mind. If you do decide to use it,
                  > use
                  > > > three or four inches of substrate such as the compressed
                  coconut
                  > > > fiber or even 100% organic sphagnum Peat packed down super
                  > tight.
                  > > > Use a cover that is either screened or vented. The other
                  > > > disadvantage of the 15 gallon is that it 'may' be too big for
                  > some
                  > > > to catch prey. Tarantulas seldom venture far from their
                  burrow,
                  > so
                  > > > they don't necessarily require a lot of room.
                  > > > Hopefully this information helps.
                  > > >
                  > > > Bert Wright
                  > > > Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast
                  > > >
                  > > Thanks for the information but that brings up a question about
                  how
                  > > much room does a adult tarantula need. I assumed they might need
                  > > plenty of room but you mentioned that it might be to big to catch
                  > > their prey and I would not want that. thanks again
                  > >
                  > Its not really the room we are concerened with it is the hight.
                  > Tarantulas will walk the glass and if they happen to fall it could
                  > harm the Tarantula. If you intend to buy a ground dwelling species
                  > a fall from just a few feet off the ground could kill it.
                  > Remember Tarantulas do roam in there natural habitat so room is
                  > ok. Also use a shallow water dish no sponges cause that causes
                  > bacteral to grow. Good luck and let us know what type of Tarantula
                  > you bought so we can assit you.
                  > Patrick DeVoe
                  >thank for the info, we are looking into a rose and black tarantulas.
                  we thought about splitting the tank in half and have space for both.
                  so far this is in the thinking stages we won't buy the spiders until
                  we know that we have a good home for them. Nancy