Re: (Updated Feedback on ) Emergency Question

  • Bert
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
      JoAnn:

      Just in case I totally missed your first concern - do not be overly
      concerned about your tarantula getting waster everywhere - if this
      helps, I have noticed tarantulas (although it will normally be one
      of my Brachypelma albopilosum Honduran Curly Hair Tarantulas, I have
      noticed others as well) will often dump dirt into their shallow
      water dish or even fill it completely with substrate - I believe
      that they do this to somehow attempt to regulate their humidity (or
      dampen their substrate), (this is purely speculation on my part
      though and no scientific evidence to back it up, that I know of).
      The Grammastola Rosea or Rose Hair tarantula will molt once per year
      as adults - HOWEVER, there are exceptions to where they may take two
      years to molt. Males sometimes live for a couple of years after
      their ultimate (last) molt. Although we have the once a year molt
      cycle as a guide - it is not always exactly one year, but
      oftentimes, it will be fairly close to one year - they are all
      individuals and each have individual characteriistics. The other
      possible concern may be the tarantulas age. Older tarantulas
      usually exhibit some 'traits' that distinguish them from the younger
      tarantulas - such as dull coloring of their exoskeleton (skin), they
      are usually fairly large, have some possible scars and will begin to
      move about more slowly. Take it all into consideration when trying
      to assess your tarantulas condition. I hope that she is fine or
      will improve. Drinking water is GOOD though - playing in it may
      also be good. Give it a few days and provide some feedback.

      Bert Wright
      Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

      --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Bert" <Bert.H.Wright@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "JoAnn" <crowz357@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a question for you guys, I see we haven't been very
      active
      > and I
      > > will post this question on the other site also, my girl has been
      > acting
      > > like she is having seizures or something, I don't know she is
      > acting
      > > weird, looking like she is spazing out or something, I have had
      > her
      > > since November and she still hasn't molted so I don't know if
      that
      > is
      > > it or if there is something wrong with her, mind you I don't
      even
      > know
      > > if she is a girl or boy, she is in her water dish alot lately,
      > because
      > > every morning water is everywhere, please tell me something
      good,
      > > because I am very worried about her.
      > > Thanks,
      > > JoAnn
      >

      > JoAnn:
      >
      > Just make sure (this is a Grammastola rosea or Rose Hair correct?)
      > that the enclosure isn't too wet - keep a shallow water dish full
      at
      > all times. Do not mist or allow anyone to mist the enclosure - it
      is
      > not necessary for Rose Hairs - also, ensure that the tarantula
      isn't
      > being teased. Keep her calm and quiet - give some feedback in a
      few
      > days.
      >

      > Bert Wright
      > Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast