Re: Tarantula ?

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 17, 2007
      Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa blondi) and King Baboob (Citharischius
      crawshayi) are both at the same level as Cobalt Blue as far as
      aggression. I would stay away from those two for a little while as
      well.

      An inverted tank would be standing a ten-gallon (or whatever size
      tank you're using) on its side instead of on its bottom. This allows
      for more room for the tarantula to climb around as it would in the
      wild.

      If you're able to set one up with a live plant, that would be even
      better, but then you have to make sure you water it and give it
      enough sunlight, etc.

      --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn <crowz357@...> wrote:

      > Bert,
      >
      > What makes the pink toe a hard T to keep? What is an inverted
      tank?

      > What do you all think about the Green bottle Blue? I just called
      them back and they also have the Goliath Bird Eater and King Baboon.

> [...]
      > Brachypelma smithi, Honduran Curly Hair Brachypelma albopilosum and
      > possibly the Costa Rican Zebra Aphonopelma seemani which I have
      some
      > of each of these - but the Stripe Knee can be a bit skittish and
      > nervous, nonethelesss, a great Pet Species.
      >
      > Bert Wright
      > Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast
      >
      > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <xhexdx@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Avicularia, Poecilotheria, Pterinochilus, and I've heard
      > Hysteocrates
      > > as well are all known to be able to cohabitate.
      > >
      > > Avics are probably the best to cohabitate, but you can never
      > > guarantee there won't be cannibalism.
      > >
      > > I'm getting ready to try an experiment with P. murinus
      > cohabitating.
      > > I'll be sure to update the groups I'm in once I get it started.
      > >
      > > Pet shops are usually not very informed when it comes to taking
      > care
      > > of tarantulas. I'm very surprised that the pet shop where you are
      > > has Greenbottle Blues, as a matter of fact.
      > >
      > > As for whether Pinktoes are a good species to start with...they
      > have
      > > shorter lifespans than most other species. People say they are
      > > harder to take care of because of their requirements, but I
      > haven't
      > > had issues with that. Then again, I only have one Avic right now,
      > > and he's an expensive little bugger. A. bicegoi.
      > >
      > > If you're not ready to work with arboreal species, I would stick
      > with
      > > something like A. seemani (Costa Rican Zebra) or any of the
      > > Brachypelma species, although they may be a little more expensive.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps!
      > >
      > > --Joe
      > >
      > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn <crowz357@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Everyone,
      > > >
      > > > As you may or may not remember I am the new owner of a
      > Rosehair
      > > Tarantula named Ladybug. She is doing quite well, she is pretty
      > > little in my opinion and I'm still waiting for her to moult :-).
      > I'm
      > > thinking about getting another one or more, LOL. Anyways, I saw
      > the
      > > prettiest T's at the pet store here, the Pinktoe T. They were
      > very
      > > small and in a tank together 2 of them, which I found odd but was
      > > informed by the pet store guy that this was okay with this
      > particular
      > > T, is this true for one and is this a good breed?
      > > >
      > > > I called the other pet store that I got my Rosie from and they
      > > told me they have the Pinktoes, Green Bottle Blue, and Cobalt
      > Blues
      > > in stock. They also informed me that it was not a good idea to
      > keep
      > > the Pinktoe with another T, so what do you all think? What would
      > be
      > > the breed to go with next for me and are these Pinktoes alright

    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2007
        Good morning JoAnn

        Pinktoe's (Avicularia) is my favourite Genus of T's which is probably
        why I have so many of them lol. I have 20 at the moment with 8 more
        to come soon :0) They need higher temperatures and constant high
        humidity with really good ventilation to keep them happy. They web
        nicely and are active little predators. Generally docile but fast. I
        think everybody should have one. Therer are a couple of photo's of
        mine here on the site. The album is called "Elaine's 8 leggeds".

        The Green bottle blue is a stunning spider even as a spiderling. Mine
        just moulted and is starting to show her grown up colours. Very
        beautiful. Skittish and fast but tends to run and hide in all the
        webbing. They like things very dry and warm. Humidity is something
        they really dont do well with.

        Cobalt blue's are stunning when you get to see them. A happy cobalt
        is the one who is in his/her burrow all the time. They need deep
        substrate to burrow and slightly higher humidity. They are fast, very
        defensive and their bite packs a real hard punch. I wouldnt suggest
        one of these for the novice keeper unless bought as a spiderling to
        give you a chance to get used to their ways.

        Avics can be kept communally but there is still a chance of
        cannibalism. You should never keep different species together though.

        Hope that helps
        Elaine x

        --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn <crowz357@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > As you may or may not remember I am the new owner of a Rosehair
        Tarantula named Ladybug. She is doing quite well, she is pretty
        little in my opinion and I'm still waiting for her to moult :-). I'm
        thinking about getting another one or more, LOL. Anyways, I saw the
        prettiest T's at the pet store here, the Pinktoe T. They were very
        small and in a tank together 2 of them, which I found odd but was
        informed by the pet store guy that this was okay with this particular
        T, is this true for one and is this a good breed?

        > I called the other pet store that I got my Rosie from and they
        told me they have the Pinktoes, Green Bottle Blue, and Cobalt Blues
        in stock. They also informed me that it was not a good idea to keep
        the Pinktoe with another T, so what do you all think? What would be
        the breed to go with next for me and are these Pinktoes alright to
        cage together?

        > Thanks for your input,
        > JoAnn

      • JoAnn
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 18, 2007
          Thanks Elaine for your input.  I really want to get the Pinktoe, they are so very pretty.  I will save it for after Christmas though, I may need more advice once I actually obtain one though, I wanted to keep a couple together so I could have more and save space :-).

          I really want the zebra T that I was told about yesterday, my pet store does not keep them, does anyone know a breeder here in the Lubbock TX (West Texas) area?  Or if you know a good place to get them shipped from so they won't die in transit?

          Thanks for all your input,
          JoAnn

        • Elaine
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 18, 2007
            You're welcome JoAnn :0)

            If you decide to get an Avicularia (Pinktoe) then just ask anything
            you need to know and I'm sure others here or myself will help you
            out. Avic's are a gorgeous spider. Have a look at this link at the
            Avicularia versicolor. I guarantee you will fall in love :0)

            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/care-A.versicolor.htm

            The Aphonopelma seemani (Zebra or Stripe knee) is a lovely spider but
            not as common over here in the UK as it seems to be your side of the
            pond. I cant help with dealers in your area since I'm in Scotland but
            hopefully someone here will know.

            Good luck
            Elaine x

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 18, 2007
              Wow, Scotland. That's pretty cool. I'm in Florida.

              As far as A. seemani goes, you should be able to find some people in
              Texas who have them. If you'd like, JoAnn, I can ask around and see
              if there's someone around there who has them. What size are you
              looking for? Also, what part of Texas are you in so I know where to
              try and isolate someone?

              You can always have them shipped to you overnight, but you're looking
              at around $25 in shipping costs for that, and that's a bit much for a
              spider that should cost less than that in the first place.

              Let me know and I'll ask around.

              --Joe

              --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine" <ElaiRs@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > I'm
              > > thinking about getting another one or more, LOL. Anyways, I saw
              the
              > > prettiest T's at the pet store here, the Pinktoe T. They were
              very
              > > small and in a tank together 2 of them, which I found odd but was
              > > informed by the pet store guy that this was okay with this
              > particular
              > > T, is this true for one and is this a good breed?
              > > >
              > > > I called the other pet store that I got my Rosie from and they
              > > told me they have the Pinktoes, Green Bottle Blue, and Cobalt
              Blues
              > > in stock. They also informed me that it was not a good idea to
              keep
              > > the Pinktoe with another T, so what do you all think? What would
              be
              > > the breed to go with next for me and are these Pinktoes alright

            • Elaine
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 18, 2007
                Oh how I would love to be inyour part of the world right now Joe :0)

                I'm am up in the freezing cold Pentland Hills with heating now on all
                day brrrrrrr. My poor spiders are having to put up with heat mats
                along with the central heating until I get my spider room finished.

                I have 8 new Avic spiderlings waiting to get sent when we get better
                weather but it wont be until after the new year now. I'm nopt the
                most patient person on the planet but its safer for them to wait.

                Elaine x

              • JoAnn
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 18, 2007
                  I'm from Lubbock Texas.  Would love to have the Zebra T, it is absolutely beautiful.  I would appreciate it if you would check around if you can, I have never seen any T's in the paper or anywhere, I may ask the pet store and see if they can order them for me if I have no luck anywhere else.
                  Thanks,
                  JoAnn

                • Joe
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 28, 2007
                    JoAnn,

                    What size A. seemani did you want? I asked around on arachnoboards
                    but I don't know what size to tell people...right now I just went
                    with, 'large enough to eat an adult cricket' and I also specified
                    female if known.

                  • JoAnn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                      It doesn't really matter what size, the pet store here did tell me they could order me a Mexican Red Knee, but that it would be harder for them to get a Costa Rican Zebra right now, so I'm going to go pretty soon and price the Red Knee.
                      Thanks,
                      JoAnn

                    • Bert
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                        I don't know about YOUR Pet Store, but I DO KNOW that Petco often
                        has Rose Hair Grammastola rosea and Stripe Knee (True Zebra)
                        Aphonopelma seemani tarantulas, but they are MOSTLY Wild Caught
                        specimens bought in mass imports from Costa Rica and Chile. I have
                        bought Red Knees from Petco - but they are captive bred and
                        generally juvenile to subadult size if you're lucky. They DID want
                        $99 for their Mexican Red Knee Brachypelma smithi tarantulas, but I
                        have bought at least two (that are now huge females) for $39 each on
                        special. Again, Kelly Swift, Charles 'Botar' Black and Dean Pittman
                        of Northwest Invertebrates ALL have nice red knee spiderlings ($16
                        to $32 for the wee ones - before shipping, of course) - hundreds of
                        tarantula owners nationwide enjoy at least one of Kelly Swift's Red
                        Knees from a huge breeding female Red Knee that he has and brings to
                        his shows sometimes- I've seen HIS female (and the mom of at least
                        one of mine) and she is a massive spider, and beautiful. I believe
                        that she is STILL producing (and he has many more breeding females
                        as well). Good Luck - there is something to be said about buying
                        them at the pet store and first hand, though.

                      • JoAnn
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                          Okay, I will check into that since I don't want to spend quite that much money on one, why the differences in pricing for the sizes?  What is better?
                          Thanks,
                          JoAnn