Re: Rosea Question

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi JoAnn

      You're welcome :0)

      I dont know about smart, I have just learned some helpful tips along
      the way. I have 47 tarantula's here with 3 more coming in the next
      week or 2. I still get excited about new arrivals, moults etc.

      If you think she is growing now just wait until she goes through a
      moult :0) Her colour will get so much brighter and if she isnt
      already full adult size then she will grow a bit after her moult. If
      you get to see the moult in person, it is a real nail biting worry
      but a total buzz at the same time. It never fails to have me sitting
      there a nervous wreck lol.

      A word of warning about the moulting process though, when she flips
      oonto her back and stays there for hours, dont panic. Just leave her
      well alone so as not to disturb her and generally within 24 hours she
      will be all done and brand new :0) You wouldnt believe how many
      stories I've heard about people thinking their prized tarantula has
      died when it was only getting ready to moult.

      If you have a look in the photo's section there is a good selection
      of my tarantulas in an album. You can get an idea about which ones
      are which.

      Elaine x

      --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn <crowz357@...> wrote:

      > Elaine,
      >
      > thanks for the info. You are so smart about tarantulas. I
      didn't know she was mad at me when she was raising her little rear
      into the air, does that mean she is thinking of biting me, lol, "hope
      not". She is so beautiful and growing bigger every day, though I
      don't notice it since I see her everyday, i will take her out with a
      tupperware lid tomorrow and put her on the floor to play with her or
      bond or whatever you do with tarantulas.

      > thanks for the info, i will have to see if the pet store has any
      others, because I don't know any breeders in Lubbock.

> [...]
      > > easiest for me to handle is surprisingly my L. parahybana. She is
      > so
      > > ssweet :0)
      > >
      > > Good luck
      > > Elaine x
      > >
      > > --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Bert" <Bert.H.Wright@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      > > > Rosea for maybe a month now and I don't handle her often, main
      > > > reason is because when I try to pick her up she will walk
      partway
      > > on
      > > > my hand then run off, LOL. Anyways, my question is will they
      get
      > > > aggressive if not handled all the time, or is it okay to handle
      > > them
      > > > sometime or should I give her little scritches everyday or what
      > is
      > > > your advice? I don't want her to get aggressive.

      > ###################################################################
      > > >

      > > > Good Question - there is no 'silly question' - there are
      > > > exceptions. At any rate, periodic handling of your Tarantula is
      > > > O.K., and in fact, some keeper prefer not to 'handle' their
      > > > tarantulas at all - why? It is NOT because they are fearful of
      > the
      > > > tarantula, yet they don't want to risk injuring the tarantula.
      > The
      > > > irony is that most people think that tarantula will do
      something
      > > > the 'handler' and never think that the tarantula may be more
      > > > fearful.
      > > >
      > > > There have been numerous studies about animals, isolation and
      the
      > > > benefits or disadvantages or negative results that may occur
      from
      > > > total isolation. Any animal will become more agressive if
      > isolated
      > > > and left without interaction and nurturing. Tarantulas are more
      > > > tolerant to being isolated -after all, it is their job. I
      believe
      > > > that if you interact with your tarantula (either by cleaning
      > their
      > > > cage or other maintenance or handling) at least once a week or
      > > every
      > > > few days or so, it should do fine getting acquainted and not
      > > regress
      > > > to wild behavior. Tarantulas will sit in one place and stay
      there
      > > > for days sometimes - they are content with that, it seems. As
      > long
      > > > as you interact with your tarantula at least once or twice per
      > week
      > > > and get to KNOW your tarantula, you should be fine.
      > > >
      > > > I have had tarantulas escape for just a few days, and some can
      > get
      > > > fairly nasty after they have had a taste of 'freedom'. However,
      > > > most of the Rose Hair tarantulas on the market are Wild-caught
      > > > tarantulas and essentially 'wild' for all practical purposes.
      So,