Re: Pics of just a few of the T's who have taken over my house :P

  • Andrew Olson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
      --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Wright, Bert H"
      <Bert.H.Wright@...> wrote:

      > Kitty:
      >
      > WOW - you have some nice 'Pokes' in your pictures, and a wide variety
      of

      how do you see the pics? i can't figure it out
    • Wright, Bert H
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
        Andrew:

        When I received the message ' Pics of just a few of the T's who have taken over my house :P' there were a dozen or more .jpg attachments.  Sometimes, my firewall at work will not allow attachments to come through, but they did in this instance.  The pictures are a bit fuzzy, a couple are fairly sharp though - my point was that he had a virtual Poke Royal Flush with at least five or six different Poecilotheria species.  I was commenting that my one Poke that I have is one of the most awesome tarantulas I have ever seen.  Kelly Swift has a huge female P. regalis (which may be the mom of my Poke), but he had this huge female in a glass aquarium at a show and it looked like tapestry - stunning patterns and coloring on their underside - they have a wide yellow band and leg pairs that are black and yellow and black and white.  She is super shy and really not overly aggressive - I let her go as she pleases as these are not typically a hand pet by any stroke of the imagination.  We may ask the sender to resend the pictures or at least post them on the Group Site. I too need to update the photo area - also, more Curly Hair tarantulas at $15 each are to be made available soon.

        Bert Wright
        Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
          ah, i think since i have my account set to get daily digests the pics
          just didn't make it to me. more is the pity. this is presuming you
          have every message sent directly to you?

          speaking of regalis, yesterday i pulled my mature male out my females
          tank, where he had been cohabitating for 7-10 days. i decided to pull
          him cuz she was chasing him... drumming up a storm... and he was
          running away, drumming enough to let her know he was not a snack. my
          theory is that they mated (hopefully!) and he needs to recharge his
          palps before he can mate again, but everytime he tried to build a
          spermweb she heard him and ran over to try to mate again. i'm going
          to give him about a week to recuperate and then once more into the
          breach (again, hopefully, hehehehee)

          oh, another kinda interesting thing. i keep a lot of scorps and hunt
          them in the wild, so i have a blacklight. i was shining it on all my
          other bugs hoping to get lucky and find more that flouresce... WELL,
          the warning bands on P. regalis do, a little bit! i suspect that has
          to do with other animals seeing in different spectrums than humans...
          so those warning bands must be SUPER bright to some stuff!

          oh, and i think *poooossibly* my G. rosea dropped a sac. i don't know
          whether to be happy or sad... i've had ~130 new babies in the past
          month, added to around 200-300 bugs i already had. i'm starting to
          run out of room!

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2006
            Andrew:

            Thanks again for the update on your breeding projects, hatch outs and all.  Let me be one of the first (if not the last) to say, I would gladly take some off of your hands unless they are already spoken for, and if the $ is right.  On my rosea 'egg sac' that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago:  I have not yet ransacked the enclosure, but I think that I found what may be an 'aborted' egg sac.  I really don't know what it is.  I have seen lots of webbings and have torn lots of web from cages, but i really haven't seen anything like what I took out of My Grammastola rosea's enclosure (the one G. rosea that I have that recently produced an egg sac, I believe as she was rolling a huge white clump of something that I presumed was an egg sac.).  At any rate, after a few days, I decided to get a closer look at this egg sac (I had been considering Andrew's suggestion to let her handle the hatch-out and the routine turning of the egg sac) - but the whole notion got to me I suppose and I had to at least have a look at something I saw in her enclosure (I still haven't confirmed whether or not she has or has NOT produced an egg sac as there are some areas in her enclosure where I have NOT looked).  At any rate - maybe you know what this is or is not, possibly.  I examined this clump of white material left on the opposite side from her cage where she stays AND this 'clump was only about an eighth in size of the original clump that I saw her rolling up with webbing.  It looked like silk - thick and solid white and had some firm or dense clumps within the thicker silk - could this have been an egg sac?  One other question:  Does this appear to be an egg sac that the mother either partially or fully destroyed for one reason or another?

            Bert Wright
            Fellow Tarantulas Keeper/;Enthusiast

            <Bert.H.Wright@ ...> wrote:

            Andrew:

            > When I received the message ' Pics of just a few of the
            T's who have
            > taken over my house :P' there were a dozen or more .jpg
            attachments.
            > Sometimes, my firewall at work will not allow attachments
            to come
            > through, but they did in this instance. The pictures are a bit
            fuzzy, a
            > couple are fairly sharp though - my point was that he had a
            virtual
            Poke
            > Royal Flush with at least five or six different
            Poecilotheria
            species.
            > I was commenting that my one Poke that I have
            is one of the most
            awesome
            > tarantulas I have ever seen. Kelly Swift
            has a huge female P.
            regalis
            > (which may be the mom of my Poke), but
            he had this huge female in a
            > glass aquarium at a show and it looked like
            tapestry - stunning
            patterns
            > and coloring on their underside - they
            have a wide yellow band and
            leg
            > pairs that are black and yellow and
            black and white. She is super
            shy
            > and really not overly aggressive -
            I let her go as she pleases as
            these
            > are not typically a hand pet by
            any stroke of the imagination. We
            may
            > ask the sender to resend the
            pictures or at least post them on the
            Group
            > Site. I too need to
            update the photo area - also, more Curly Hair
            > tarantulas at $15 each are
            to be made available soon.

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            href="mailto:Pet_Tarantulas%40yahoogroups.com">Pet_Tarantulas@ yahoogroups. com

            Subject: [Pet_Tarantulas] Re: Pics of just a few of the T's who have

            taken over my house :P

            > --- In
            href="mailto:Pet_Tarantulas%40yahoogroups.com">Pet_Tarantulas@ yahoogroups. com

            <mailto:Pet_ Tarantulas% 40yahoogroups. com> , "Wright, Bert H"
            > <Bert.H.Wright@ > wrote:

            Kitty:

            > > WOW - you have some nice 'Pokes' in your
            pictures, and a wide
            variety
            > of
            >
            > how do you see the